Archinect
anchor

Computer Central

dia

Dear Archinector's,

I am looking for a new laptop, and have identified the HP DV6 6137tx as a likely contender. I will be running Rhino, Sketchup, Acad, Photoshop primarily.

I dont need a full on workstation, but I reckon this comes as close for the money. If I need to I will get a desktop later on.

I have always run Compaq or HP computers, and have never had a single issue.

Any comments suggestions welcome. Perhaps this could also be a central thread for computing issues.

Sep 23, 11 6:42 pm
ariana

personally, i always looked at dell laptops.

Sep 26, 11 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
someguy22

One big problem with that HP is the screen resolution. For our line of work you should look for a minimum of 1600x900, if not 1920x1080.

Aside from that, if I were you I would seriously consider a Lenovo W520. They start at $1299 which is comparable to the HP, but they're built specifically for design professionals. Its similar to Dell's Precision M4600 (as ariana suggested), but significantly cheaper. Also, there are almost always online coupons for 10-30% off, so you could land a $2000 setup for $1400. Heres a badass video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG13u2enh0g

Sep 27, 11 12:04 am  · 
 · 
dia

Thanks,

I am in NZ, so no vouchers pertain to me, and for some reason Lenovo is not very present down here in our market. I will have a look at your link.

The HP screen resolution was bothering me a little bit, but everything else seems fine. 

I have no experience with Dell, but also because I am in NZ, the service centre is in Singapore which worries me a little.

Sep 27, 11 12:27 am  · 
 · 
someguy22

Ya, other than the resolution the HP looks pretty decent. The Lenovo website does have a New Zealand 'section', and they offer full warranty with next day on-site service (optional) so you should be fine if you choose to go with them. As far as the discount goes, all I did was ask one of the representatives for a discount and he gave me a 20% off coupon code. That said, my last laptop was an HP and it served me pretty well.... 

Sep 27, 11 12:44 am  · 
 · 

it was a flickering screen at first. not being too picky, put up with it for a month or so. it start to get worst and i decided to open the screen. touched the inverter board with a screwdriver and it went dark with no backlight. ordered a new inverter. adventurous and naive. yes.. 

as of now i am using the cloned monitor of the old desktop. 

if that doesn't work.., new screen.

any feedback appreciated.

Sep 27, 11 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: