Archinect
anchor

Yes, but what are the *best* ways to make a career in architecture?

AP03

Longtime reader, first-time poster. I've seen all the caveats and complaints about the horrible state of the profession. But I can't help it, I'm still interested.* So I thought I'd ask: What is the best, most enviable way to make a career in architecture?** Who has an example or story of someone doing this thing right?

*I got a B.A. from Harvard in philosophy in 2004, worked as a journalist/editor/blogger for years, got into UCLA M.Arch. Class starts in two days if I want to do it.

**I'm not really interested in the route to becoming a starchitect. Answers like "B born w zillion $" won't be helpful. I'm more wondering which offices are awesome and treat their employees well relative to the average, what to do during school (and the summer) to maximize my chances of getting a good job upon graduation, how quickly one can set up a successful independent practice. Stuff like that.

Sep 20, 11 11:08 pm
IamGray

A knack for (or at least a willingness to pursue) entrepreneurship. Seriously. The only "successful" and happy people I know working in architecture are the ones who are doing their own projects, running their own studio, or in one way or another, calling their own shots.

I know it's said here a lot, but I think successful architects in today's economy are increasingly looking outside of "traditional" practice. Wether that means more teaching/research, writing, doing installations, interactive/virtual environments, etc... several former colleagues/schoolmates went on to open design-related galleries, one runs a modern furniture store, another is in the process of starting a laser-cutting/3d-printing, collaborative work-space. They're all putting their design-related knowledge to use, while simultaneously enjoying their life (and making a livable wage at the same time).

I guess that's also a question one has to ask:  Are you interested in architecture or are you interested in being an architect. Because that will vary your expectations and answers greatly.

Sep 21, 11 5:39 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yup, don't have to be born with it.  Inheriting or marrying it will work too.  Or the lottery, that's always an option.

Entrepreuer's  all need one thing:  money.  So if you can get that, you can start something, then, God willing (or whoever), you  can make money and keep going.  Without money, you can't get anything anywhere.  I wish it were as easy as just being motivated or ambitious, but those days are long over.  

My advice would be to figure out what you want out of life.  Almost all of us would starve to design the next Guggenheim, but that ain't happening.  So be realistic about what you need from a professional view and from a personal view.  I think you'll be surprised.  

Sep 21, 11 9:37 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

I suppose entrepreneurial spirit is key... but id go even more simple than that... 

don't pigeon hole yourself, and don't let yourself get pigeon holed...

as they say, variety is the spice of life.  If you have no variety in your life, you get bored and unhappy right?  Well... same thing goes in the professional world.  So my suggestion would be, do whatever you want in school, make the most of the opportunity to find out what you like and what your interested in.  Once you get a job, volunteer for stuff... make yourself available for anything, be multi-faceted...  I'm sure it applies to all jobs, but architecture in particular lends itself well to people who perhaps are not the cream of the crop in any one area, but have serviceable abilities in many...

on a smaller note, this might not universally apply, but once out of school, dont stop drawing... I know that once i got into an office environment, in front of various computer programs 10 hours a day, i stopped sketching at work.  It's only recently that ive started again, and man, my skills deteriorated significantly... not only that, but people (in general) innately react differently to sketches... they are more personal, more tangible, and also perhaps most importantly, communal... a sketch can be sketched over and on top of by other people... 

Sep 21, 11 10:35 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

APO3: frankly, architecture is like any other profession. you have to have a reasonable amount of aptitude for the discipline; you have to understand and apply a reasonable amount of technical knowledge; you have to work hard; you have to be willing to get out of your comfort zone and learn to sell yourself and your work; you have to cultivate and  maintain positive personal relationships across a wide spectrum. while architecture definitely is about a certain amount of dreaming, a successful career in this profession is more about a willingness to objectively assess what your clients truly need and then helping them satisfy those needs.

there are many, many architects who never post here on archinect who stay busy every day doing enjoyable work and earning decent livings. while I would not suggest you turn a blind eye to the rampant negativism that pervades this forum, I find it encouraging that you haven't allowed those vibes to dissuade you from something you really want to do. maintain a positive attitude, work hard, keep your eyes and ears open and learn from what you see and hear -- you'll do just fine.

Sep 21, 11 10:42 am  · 
 · 

"how quickly one can set up a successful independent practice."

With respect to money & entrepreneurship, even though you are still just a student, start thinking of yourself as a business enterprise right now, from day #1.  It's easy to fall into the bubble of academia and make numerous (although relatively small) bad financial decisions (i.e., do you really need to spend that much on a model materials?  do you really need visits to an exotic thesis location instead of something in your own neighborhood? etc.)

Be hard on yourself in this regard (even if it costs you grades) because whether you are in school on savings or debt, after graduation it will become obvious that access to money is the single biggest factor in how quickly (or even whether or not) you'll be able to achieve an independent practice.   The best entrepreneurs are always...ALWAYS...thinking in terms of dollars & cents, yo!

Sep 21, 11 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
sectionalhealing

Looking back at successful architects I personally know (and maaaaaybe grouping myself among them), they are really strong in two areas: 1) communication (including graphic and design skills) and 2) people skills.  

To succeed in architecture, you need to network like crazy - and primarily OUTSIDE the profession.  Starting in undergrad, you need to constantly growing a strong group of future friends, colleagues and clients.  Don't go to architecture parties, go to law and business school parties.  Impress the engineers, earn the respect of the real estate guys, find some good finance people.

If you want to get a good job at any firm (or start your own), show up with well-paying projects and clients.  In the end, arch firms are looking for contributors and avoiding leeches.

Sep 21, 11 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Start your career the way you'd like to finish it!

- work well with people

- do good work ( cutting edge design or not )

- know your stuff, carpenters are your friends

- market yourself  / your firm

- enjoy the work..... the money will follow

Sep 21, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

There are several basic paths to success in any field.

One is talent, which in architecture means three dimensional thinking, practical construction experience, technical knowledge as well as art, history and some solid aesthetics. Another is business, which in architecture is an administrative knack for dealing with staff, budgets, schedules, municipal officials, etc. The third is charisma, or the ability to bullshit your way into and around work.

Nobody is good at all three, ever. If you’re really lucky you excel at one and have some minimal competence in the other two.

Judging by what gets built, I'd have to say that talent is the path least likely to be successful and charisma the most.

Sep 21, 11 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
AP03

Thanks a lot, people. What I've gleaned: The people who have successful and rewarding independent careers hustle hard to get independent work from the get-go, using whatever charisma and connections they have. They're as much salesmen and entrepreneurs as designers. Got it. One follow-up question: Are there any firms that have a reputation for being particularly good to recent grads in terms of experience/pay/hours?

Sep 21, 11 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: