Archinect
anchor

Today is my 29th Birthday. I spent it drawing this imaginary building floor plan. Note that I'm not an architect

dassouki

A bit of a background. I'm a civil/transportation engineer that has read extensively Architecture books (practical and academic).

I saw an ugly floor plan of a 20 story building yesterday so I decided to redesign it a la dassouki taste. Although, I live in North America, I don't usually design things to have bath + powder or have enclosed kitchens (I prefer open kitchen). The idea is to have the better units Unit A and B facing the good view, while unit C to face the back, a lesser awesome view.

Feel free to critique, ask, bash, etc

DWG

Direct Link To Image

Sep 20, 11 6:21 pm
MixmasterFestus

Do you have the original plan around?  It would be interesting to see the original, and also what is considered 'ugly'.

Some quick comments:

- Check your exit stairs.  You don't need three, and the two on the ends would ideally be located a little farther apart (you'd have to check the distance from the outermost 'accessible' area to the stair door).  This is a fire code thing.

- You'll want some mechanical rooms for your apartments.  They don't have to be large, but you'll need a place for the guts.  (Also, I think the recent trend is to have the laundry machine in its own separate room, instead of hanging outside of the bathroom.)

- You have some column-looking things, but only about two of them.  Are those mechanical chases?  How is the building supported?

- It's usually way cheaper to have bathrooms back up to each other, especially on multi-floor identical-pancake-stack skyscrapers.

- The sequence of spaces is pretty logical (you enter and turn to look at things), but you may want to find a way to accentuate this more.  Some of the spaces appear to be a little ill-defined or 'blobby'.  Consider the sequence of spaces as you move through the apartments.  You may want to re-think how you are addressing the elements of the program.  I wish I could explain this one more effectively, but it's easier to draw than to say.  That's what you get with a design education, I suppose.

- You'll probably want to make sure that there is some sound-isolation stuff between the elevator and the apartments.  It's good that you didn't put it next to the bedroom, but it's better if you put it next to somewhere that is not noise sensitive (like a bathroom).  Also, on the topic of noise, try and position the closets so that they provide further 'buffers' between the bedrooms of different apartments.

- I think it's spelled 'chute' ;-)

All in all, it's fun to lay things out!  However, also look at things in section and consider the building less as a collection of rooms and more as a sequence of spaces; it should help you refine your plan a bit more.  You'll typically want to present more than a general plan like this to have really well-refined designs.

Sep 20, 11 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

Also, some of the tub-sink-WC arrangements in some of the bathrooms need some work.

Sep 20, 11 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ah, floor plans.  I love them.  That's how I got started, at age 8 or 9.  Yum.

Sep 21, 11 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Happy birthday!

- Second the comments above, here's a few points about the plans (some of the suggestions may engender new problems of their own, but I see the resulting problems as solvable and minor).

Entrances:

Unit "C" could have the entrance more in the middle, then you could have the bath on the other side and the kitchen on the other - also, moving the living space centrally would minimize the corridor, which is fairly long for an apartment this small.

Room composition:

Units "A" and "B" would be more pleasant if there were a clear view out straight from the entrance - I'm thinking that the living spaces could be more centrally located and the bedroom / kitchen moved.

Kitchens in general:

The same applies as to the bathrooms - ideally they'd be clustered close to the core - because of plumbing / water etc. Unit B would need to have an open kitchen if it is moved closer to the core - I don't see much value in a closed kitchen room without a window. Also the kitchen in unit "C" should be open - and have some kind of a view outside to be pleasant.

Sep 21, 11 2:28 am  · 
 · 
dassouki

@MixmasterFestus

Thanks for the response :)

• I will remove the central stairs in my next rendition. On the ground floor, I assumed that the stairs will exit under the bedroom of unit c, which would be an outdoor and non enclosed space. This will allow me to maximize space in unit B, and perhaps add storage rooms for Unit A, B, and C
  • In my next version, I will try to put add a mech/laundry room to each apartment. i think that's feasible if I remove the central stairs. It might take some creative juggling, but I believe it's doable
  • The boxes are mechanical chases. in the attached DWG, I have a frozen columns layer. I didn't play too much with it yet, I was trying to do a 7.2m U all around to allow for a vehicle driveway under the building. I suspect that in version 2 or 3, I'll start heavily placing the columns and somewhat dimensioning them from my vague memory of doing structural years ago. Again this is a hypothetical fun project.
  • Feel Free to draw with a red pen and be a crazy dude. Alternatively you can draw on top of my dwg, and I can tell you my email address
  • Shoot, I misspelled chute as shute
  • I think in my next version, I'll probably post here again: Site, parking, first, typical, elevations, and 2 sections.

@citizen

AT 8 or 9 I have pictures of me drawing buildings in elevation! with stuff that you can only see BIG or MVRDV doing. As I get older my creativity sometimes seems to diminish into a logical engineer

@Helsinki

Thanks for the birthday wishes

•  When doing the initial grid to layout the floors, I had thought of putting the living in the middle, and have 2 bathroom on either side, typical of North American Condos. However, when I lived in the middle east, I noticed that people detested such designs, as they usually really separate living space from social space. I agree with you. I might do some floors using my layout, and some the one you proposed and try to align the shafts somehow
  • I tried to do that, if you notice the main door in Entry B is aligned with the kitcehn window, and the main door for Unit A is aligned with the frenchdoor/window of the 3rd bedroom/den
  • when I lived in the middle east, it seemed to be the norm to have enclosed kitchens; usually as it is occupied by a maid or the dwellers prefer the separation. In north america, the kitchens i designed would be attrocious i know. What I can do is alternate the floors perhaps or have 50% of the kitchens open and 50% of them closed.

Sep 21, 11 8:27 am  · 
 · 

This must be the most depressing thread ever.

Oh yeah, like...yo.

Sep 21, 11 11:48 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Yo,

If this is the most depressing thread for you, you haven't read enough of them.

Sep 21, 11 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: