Archinect
anchor

developing a "practice routine" for architecture

RValu100

Musicians have daily practice routines to develop their skills. What would a daily practice routine for architects look like? Simply drafting stuff every day is not enough to build skills - there is only a small amount of learning going on, the rest is click, click, click. So what kind of routine should I adopt to really build my skills?

Sep 19, 11 8:02 pm
comb

Sketch at every opportunity ... teaches you to originate - and refine - new ideas.

Sep 19, 11 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
JsBach

Some of musical practice is click click too. But drafting isn't really a performance art. You can edit a drawng, where the goal of a musician is to be able to play an error free performance, time after time.

Learning and keeping up with building technology is good. Learning about coordinating with strctural, civil, and MEP is important. Maybe the most important thing is learning to communicate your ideas, both verbally and visually. So sketching is a good idea like Combs mentioned. Try to learn to communicate your ideas to everyday people like clients and contractors.

Sep 20, 11 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Read.

Sep 20, 11 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
brorstein

One way that I keep up on skills is to enter occasional competitions in my spare time.  Not even with the intent of winning (though it is a perk if it happens), but just using the brief as a laboratory to test things out that I've been thinking about.  It provides a framework to "finish" something too.  Everything mentioned in posts above could be worked on with the exception of maybe advanced project coordination, just find one with a nice leisurely time limit (because who wants to relive school deadlines after hours...), and with a low entry fee.

Sep 20, 11 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Make three cold calls for new work every day!

Sep 20, 11 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: