Archinect
anchor

Are elevators to the outside of the building with windows considered cliche or kitsch?

dassouki

there is a new building that came about in my city, and although the elevator shaft is on an exterior wall with a good view. the shaft act as a shear wall from what I can see and therefore is not glazed.

I was wondering if elevators with glazing / 360 views are a cliche and so 1960s/70s

Sep 16, 11 9:23 am
tagalong

only if you detail them in brass...

Sep 16, 11 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

who cares they are very cool, even though I am really afraid of heights.  I love those elevators. I would put them on every building If I had the chance.  Its breaks the monotony of the day to get a sick view of the city on the way to the office if you ask me!  May look that way, but I would argue that they are very relevant with contemporary views of experiance based design.

Sep 16, 11 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Another who cares? here.  Don't worry so much about others' opinions on fashionability.

Another factor is safety: glass elevators (whether exterior, or at building lobbies) give much more visibility to the elevator cab, and a sense of security for riders.

Sep 16, 11 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan002

I feel a lot less secure when I'm in a little capsule suspended a few hundred feet off the ground, okay?

When I am that high up, the last thing I want is to be able to look out. A sense of security? Are you kidding? Have you not ever scaled a high place and heard the repeated advice to "not look down"? Well do you know what happens when I am in a glass elevator ten storeys off the ground?

I look down.

I pretty much have to, the only other option being to close my eyes and pretend that no one else can see the wet patch in the front of my pants. Have you ever read those comic books where Batman interrogates people by hanging them off the side of a building? Well a glass elevator is pretty much that, without the reassurance of a superhero's grip around my sweaty ankles, okay? 

Why in the hell is the glass elevator a good idea? Would you make an airplane transparent so the passengers can look around and realize, with a slow and creeping sense of foreboding, that they are looking at the possibility of a long drop and a painful death that won't require a coffin so much as a jam jar? Is that meant to be cool and comforting? 

Sep 19, 11 2:29 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Security as in, for example, there is no rapist in this elevator cab.  But, yes, acrophobia, no security there, unless, I don't know, you turn and face the doors.

Sep 19, 11 9:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: