Archinect
anchor

Cool or Just Ho-Hum?

b3tadine[sutures]

So, you go to a bookstore, or a museum library and in The Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture, you see a project you worked on and your name is there as part of the project team. Do you get jazzed up or is this not even worth telling anyone about?

For me, it's exciting to see my name in print, in a library or bookstore - and know that I had something to with that work.

I am sure many here have been part of projects that got published, shit a lot of you win great competitions with great projects and even get young architects awards. Is this just a means to an end?

Jun 1, 05 12:55 pm
Brandon J

Centred in the ego; in vague or popular use: self-centred, egoistic.

1900 in Ann. Rep. Bur. Amer. Ethnol. 1897-8 831 An earlier ethnocentric system born of the primeval egocentric cosmos of inchoate thinking. 1901 J. M. BALDWIN Dict. Philos. & Psychol. II. 194/2 For the ego-centric point of view is substituted the homocentric. 1919 in B. H. Streeter Spirit iii. 97 The instincts, the radical fault in most of which is their selfish and egocentric character. 1926 19th Cent. July 83 The girl of to-day absorbs a freedom-loving and egocentric conception of life. 1943 H. READ Education through Art v. 140 When an attempt is made, not merely to express egocentric sensation..but also to represent an external object as it presents itself to the sensations of the artist..then some control is exercised by other than tactual and somatic sensations. 1953 R. NIEBUHR Christian Realism & Political Problems (1954) i. 22 It might be noted that, without a sense of the universality of an egocentric corruption, the passion for a universal humanity quickly degenerates. 1964 M. CRITCHLEY Developmental Dyslexia xii. 70 The age at which a child..turns from an autistic, egocentric individual, to a societal, ethnocentric being.

b. Philos. egocentric predicament, the supposed impossibility of knowing anything outside one's own mind.

1910 R. B. PERRY in Jrnl. Philos. VII. 5 (title) The Ego-Centric Predicament. Ibid., I shall seek to discover whether a certain circumstance, which has never been disputed, does or does not constitute evidence for a theory that has been much disputed. The circumstance I shall call the ego-centric predicament, and the theory, ontological idealism. 1917 A. S. PRINGLE-PATTISON Idea of God x. 192 This is what an American Realist, in a phrase worthy of Kant, in its full-flavoured technicality, has dubbed ‘the ego-centric predicament’. The Ego is..the pre-supposition of all its knowledge.

Also as n., one who is self-centred. So egocentricity, egocentrism, the state or quality of being egocentric; self-centredness; egocentrically adv.

1903 Amer. Jrnl. Psychol. July-Oct. 100 Ziehen limits the hysterical constitution to emotional instability, egocentricity, craving for attention. 1918 E. JONES Psycho-analysis (ed. 2) 632 Its ruthless and absolute egocentricity. 1926 M. WARDEN tr. Piaget's Lang. & Thought of Child v. 238 All ego-centrism is designed by its structure to stand half-way between autistic thought which is ‘undirected’..and ‘directed’ intelligence. Ego-centrism is therefore obedient to the self's good pleasure and not to the dictates of impersonal logic. 1928 Brit. Weekly 22 Mar. 593/2 In this book the first personal pronoun occurs with a frequent and monotonous ego~centricity. 1932 D. H. LAWRENCE Last Poems 179 The hordes of the ego-centric, the robots. 1934 Mind XLIII. 87 Egocentrism, in so far as it means confusion of the ego and the external world, and egocentrism in so far as it means lack of co-operation, constitutes one and the same phenomenon. 1943 H. READ Education through Art viii. 276 Then by stages the player grows out of his egocentrism, observes other players, gradually begins to co-operate with others, and finally in conjunction with a group arrives at a reciprocal agreement embodying definite rules. 1957 Times Lit. Suppl. 25 Oct. 637/1 The..complete ruthlessness and egocentricity of the very young female person. a1963 L. MACNEICE Astrol. (1964) iii. 86 Gemini is the patron not only of intellectuals but of egocentrics. 1969 Daily Tel. 5 May 19/2 They hang on every word of the actorly actor, just as the actors themselves are egocentrically absorbed by anything but the truth. 1970 Ibid. 13 Mar. 17 Behind their sham chivalry, I contend, lurk some nasty tendencies to sadism, egocentricity, rebellion and neurosis. 1981 Word 1980 XXXI. 122 Parametric structuring is applied to Tolkien's representation of the specific effects of uncontrolled and egocentrically wielded power.

Jun 1, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

You should be proud, and show as many people as possible.
This is a thankless profession for alot of people, so Celebrate the accolades when and if "they come".
Even if not overt praise, your name in text associated with a project good enough to be in the book is an achievement.
Unless you are From Chicago, For which the Paidon Atlas has chosen to represent our city and it's recent architecture in a bad light.
There is much better...many locals didn't get the spotlight they deserved.
I hope they wise-up in the next edition.

Jun 1, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

That's nice.. a little reward is always welcomed.

So what is that project? what page?

Jun 1, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
e

beta, definitely be proud. be damn proud.

Jun 1, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
plexus 1

it is all a means to an end.....the long dirt nap!

Jun 1, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i got a free-bee architecture magazine at home the other day that i'd never gotten before. so i took it to the potty and was engrossed in a good article when i came across a passage that was actually refering to me and a few other interns. while it didn't mention my name, it was about us and things that we did. i was pleasantly surprised! maybe i got the free-bee issue because i was in it?
i bragged about it at work, no one cared.

Jun 1, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

that's because they were jealous strawbeary.

Jun 1, 05 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

congratulations!
i think its pretty cool.

i wish my name was in it.

Jun 2, 05 6:03 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

brightside, i get your point, to me it's cool - and maybe that's all that matters - but i always got the sense it was cool to your wife, relatives, parents and non-architect friends, but to your peers it might just seem run of mill shit.....i think that's why i seem to be on both sides of the issue and hence the query....

so i guess the next question is; Do you put this fact in your resume?

i am sorry, but i like my anonymity here so i am not sure want to say which project, but rest assured this work is in there and it's in the US....

Jun 2, 05 7:04 am  · 
 · 
trace™

It's really cool. If it's not cool to you then you are in the wrong profession.

Jun 2, 05 8:17 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

beta...i also have work in the Atlas...and i tell people as it comes up (which is rare)...but all of the publications from that project (and there have been multiple mags and books) are on my resume.

...its just another thing that might set me above someone else when i am searching for a job. never know.

Jun 2, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i have a section in my resume for published work/exhibitions. even if it was so lame as student journals in college and student gallery stuff. i definetly think it belongs in your resume, if that's what you are wondering. don't create that heading and put only one thing under it, be creative and you can probably come up with lots of instances where you were published or exhibited. I designed a dog house that was built and then exhibited in a shopping mall for several months, it was one of 10 or 12 that was raffled for the humane society fundraiser and mine actually brought in the most money (cause it was the most coveted!) Is that something to be proud of? At this stage in the career, heck yes.

Jun 2, 05 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Twenty years ago my architectural CAD work was featured in a prominent newspaper review, "spotlighted" on the local PBS station (which aired often), and the culmination of a major museum exhibition (where I also contributed text to the catalogue). Yeah, it was all nice for me at the time, but ultimately my name in the media made the rest of the local architectural community jealous.

Like Jim Williams of Savannah used to say, "Just make sure you piss off the right people."

Jun 2, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

if you tell people because you think its cool, that's cool.
if you tell people because you think you're cool, that's not cool.

i bet your mum cares.

Jun 2, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

"That's hot!"

Jun 2, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i live in bumfuck usa and the gurl who foams my latte every morning is hotter than that skank

Jun 2, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

vado can i move to ur town

Jun 2, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: