Archinect
anchor

Uk Trained Interior Designer looking to NYC

pacb

Help please, in any form you can offer it!

I am a UK citizen, currently based in Manchester heading up an Interior Design Dept. within a General Architectural practice.

In brief I'm looking to relocate to NYC. I am aware that there are some differences between practising Interior Design in the UK and the USA, as I studied in Toronto for 4 months as part of my degree, but anything major I should no about?

I have a BA Hons in Interior Design and my work is definitely more focused on the Interior Architecture side of Interior Design. I have a substantial portfolio of commercial interiors, and work from other sectors too - including residential and education.

I'm after any pointers at all as to the best course of action to take, any advice will be greatly received. So far I'm aware that I will have to find a job first, at a firm willing to sponsor a visa, but that's about as far as I have got.

Any clues as to a realistic salary for NYC would also be gratefully received. I have 3 years post qualification experience, job running and detail design are no problem - and I am proficient with most of the software packages, particularly 3D VIZ/MAX, Photoshop and Auto CAD.

I look forward to hearing from you.

PACB.

May 31, 05 2:00 pm
ericharch

How much money are you expecting/willing to work for?

Jun 1, 05 9:36 am  · 
 · 
pacb

I'm taking a good wage here in the UK, unfortunately i have limited knowledge of salary's in NYC. Next up would be the scope of work - of course that would have some impact on how much i'd be willing to work for, although i would need to be excited about the work to re-locate so i woudln't sell myself too short.

At this stage i would be looking for somewhere in the region of $50,000 US, but that really is just a starting point. ANy feedback would be gratefully received.

Jun 1, 05 11:24 am  · 
 · 
ericharch

In my experience here in NYC, the local market is generally waaaaaaay too oversaturated with architects, interior designers, designers etc. But it is a good time for most firms in NY right now with lots of work and hiring going on.

One problem you may run into is that there are many young architects/designers who can afford to work for peanuts due to wealthy families, trust funds etc. Most of my non-US citizen friends (both Eurpoeans and Asian) still in NYC fall into this category. Many of them are working at sexy firms, but making far less than they should be.

So there seems to be a tradeoff. Certain firms will sponsor your visa if you are willing to work cheap in exchange -- which is a crappy situation for all of us. Large firms may be more fair with compensation and still sponsor you though. That is my observation.

Jun 1, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
pacb

Thanks for the insight, I'm not unrealistic - i realise that there would most likely have to be some sort of trade off in the process. Any thoughts on the best way to establish which firms should be contacted? and any insight into what is Peanuts and what is fair would be welcome.

Jun 1, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: