Archinect
anchor

architects do it all night long

leander

this sucks. i worked all weekend. including today (memorial day).

i will be here all night. at least i'm getting paid.

May 31, 05 2:44 am
Jeremy_Grant

YEAH AT LEAST YOU ARE GETTING PAID

May 31, 05 4:50 am  · 
 · 
bigness

YEAH! RUB IT IN YOU BITCH!

:)

May 31, 05 7:36 am  · 
 · 
heller high water

is this what i have to look forward to in 3 years after finishing my masters? is it really that bad?

May 31, 05 8:39 am  · 
 · 
bigness

heller: well, depends what you want to do/where you want to work...

May 31, 05 8:47 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Depends on what you insist on and where you wnat to go. I've never worked anywhere that didn't pay hourly simply because of teh abuse, and I never will.
Last place I was at had one guy that worked his tail off and will be promoted soon, another guy that left at 5 EVERY day. It was just where he drew the line.
Once you stay all night, you've set a precedent you have to live by.

It's up to you what you do, but you have to weigh the pros/cons before drawing that line.

May 31, 05 9:35 am  · 
 · 
norm

not only do architects do it all night long - but 1/4" = 1'-0".

May 31, 05 10:30 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

during my undergrad days, we use to call all nighers "Barry Whiters"...
eventually this term became "Barry Shiters"...

May 31, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
leander

this is what my life has turned into. i went to mississippi state. came to cali for good experience. gensler is running me ragged. i stay late because my rent is high, and i need more responsibility and more money. i am working on a freaking airport. I AM THE ONLY ONE WORKING ON THE CAD DRAWINGS. anyway, i punked out today. i almost puked at work because i haven't slept so i left. my pm is pissed, but the hr people and the principals are mad at him. the point is - the deadline will not be met, and he is going to suffer for mismanaging the schedule. he didn't meet with me until friday, and he lied and told our client they would have the drawings then. he was still redlining for me at 7 pm last night. should i feel bad? or should i be angry because this is expected of me?

either way it sucks, and i am going to sleep.

May 31, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
honorthebrick

I've been @ my office a little over a year now and when I first stated I would put in 45-50 hours easily. I no longer do it, even though this company is pretty generous with wages and quarterly bonuses. Now I just do as much as I can for the 8 hours that i'm here. I'm really looking forward to grad school this fall. And I was off from Thursday to Monday for Memorial Day. Gotta love those benefits.

May 31, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i have a shirt that says "architecture students do it all night long"

May 31, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

leander - be pissed at him. No excuse for telling clients they can have what they can't, and especially at Gensler. You don't want to piss off the big boys and nothing looks worse than missing deadlines.
Tell him/her to get more people involved, that you need help. If you don't like him, tell someone else.

When I worked there we had a few late nights, but it was the entire team, including the principle. If it's just you, then something is wrong. Speak up, it's your time and your life, they'll respect that (even if you PM doesn't).

May 31, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
leander

don't worry i am. i am at home now because i am so exhausted. i am angry for a few reasons.
1. he put me in a position to meet an unreasonable deadline without any support
2. he continued to change details/nitty gritty specs/graphic styles until last night
3. he left for la this morning when i told him i had been up all night and i was running out of gas
4. i told him this morning i stayed until 3:30 am. (i was there at 7:45 this morning).
5. hr called him in la, he said, he had no clue i was there so late, etc...liar!

I know this is childish behavior, but i have turned into a cad monkey, i want to go back to school...etc.

now, i am debating whether or not to go back to work today. i know he has a deadline. i have done my time. 30+ hours this weekend. seems like someone else that worked on it before me could help print the beast.

May 31, 05 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

leander - sounds like me a few weeks ago. I was busting my ass on 14 hour days, skipping lunch, etc, to meet the already past deadline. One of those holy crap May is GONE, it's JUNE?!? things.

but I can't imagine being the only drafter on an AIRPORT job so close to deadline! Don't you have any fellow monkey's to enlist?

I slacked off pretty good today, and no one cared. They knew I deserved it.

May 31, 05 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
greenmach

i've decided to start a garlic farm.

May 31, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
cvoogt

sometimes i think subsistence farming has its strong points

Jun 1, 05 3:18 am  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

radishes would be nice. Maybe a turnip or two?

/also up at 5 am

Jun 1, 05 6:56 am  · 
 · 
bigness

oh man, i work so much better at night...

was up for nights on end for so long (about 3 weeks) i cannot bring myself to sleep before 5 am now.

yesterday i was out for drinks (handed in portfolio, yeah!), got quite drunk, and still whent back home and finished "the dirt", watched bbc news 24 and then got a few hours of sleep, but i'm up again...hungover and tired.
you know when new born babies confuse night and day? same thing. regression thru Architectural overdosing.

actually, any suggestions on how to sort myself out?
the best i could come up with is locking myself in with a "little green bag" and smoke myself to oblivion, but if anyone has a less braincell-expensive technique...

i'd stick with sweet potatoes, exotic yet traditional crop.

Jun 1, 05 8:20 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

The only way to get yourself out of the all nighter binges is to stay up until a 'normal' bed time and go to sleep then. Keep doing that, until you're back on track.

And screw subsistance farming. That's too much work. It's all about the nomadic hunting and gathering!!

Jun 1, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
leander

i am going to slack today. i just turned in the project. by the way. my pm is at home today. thank god i am going on vacation in a couple weeks.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
architecture sucks. i am such a masochist. the only thing i love is the only thing i hate.

Jun 1, 05 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: