Archinect
anchor

Broadacre City

blurb

I am looking for information on Frank Lloyd Wright's "broadacre city. Any information would be great. Links, publications, etc.

May 30, 05 9:52 am
Osl8ing
r u kidding?
May 30, 05 10:01 am  · 
 · 
db

reminds me of the time I had a student ask for an extension on his paper due the next day because he couldn't find any information. his topic: FLW's Fallingwater. absolutely ridiculous.

May 30, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

broadacre city was built in 60's and soon after it was demoed because of lack of water and sanitation facilities. it was built near tijuana in california, without a permit. if you need more info e mail yahoo.

May 30, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

There you go, Blurb. Abracadabra has provided you with your first paragraph. Just cut and paste. Now, Archinecters, if you could likewise draft a few lines for our diligent student, s/he won't even have to leave the keyboard to look up any pesky old books!

May 30, 05 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

partial broadacre city before it was demolished.

May 30, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Broadacre city featured a street layout based on concentric pentagons. Major traffic arteries crossed through the points of the pentagons, all coinciding around a complex rotary around a green obelisk, while local roads followed the sides of the pentagons. A unique feature was an underground prison that stretched for 16 miles beneath the residential districts of the city.

May 30, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Broadacre City was so named because it contained, literally, acres of broads. It was a city dominated by women, who cast their spell on the weak-willed, simple-minded menfolk.

May 30, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
blurb

Firstly, i’m not writing an academic paper. However, I am a student, this question is just part of some personal research. Thank you for the information you have been able to give me. But I was looking for a resource online that would provide me with some more extensive information.

May 30, 05 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

look in a frekin book.

i am assuming you aren't an architecture student or you wouldn't be asking. the concept is so written about you should be able to pick up nearly any arch history book at random and get a chapter on it. try kenneth frampton's history of modern architecture for a simple version. no thinking necesary cuz he likes to spell things out pretty black and white he does.

May 31, 05 8:09 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

broadacre city is extensively detailed in a book.
book six of flank lloyd wright's ouvre complet. i think its actually called "broadacre city"
i believe it should be in just about every arch library.

May 31, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

the real story goes like this;

broadacre city was designed by the first american starchitect frank l. wright, when he was doing a lot of booze and imagining a perfect city with helicopters and shit and people going to movies. as the master got older, his dream was x'd out gradually. final blow came in arizona, when his friend indian chief, grabbed the pen from his hand and draw a big x on the entire plan to effectively end the long dream, saying that this plan was 'bullshit'.

May 31, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: