Archinect
anchor

Volunteer / Networking.

JonathanLivingston

My priorities have changed. Most of the organizations I have been involved with are "archi-centric" which means making small talk, meeting and working with other people in similar positions around the architecture and design world (AIA, USGBC, Habitat). I think that it would probably be a wise move to extend my circle of contacts over a wider population. I would like to be able to bring work into my firm and I would eventually like to move towards my own practice. At the same time I would like to get involved in something where I can bring a unique perspective to projects and events. I feel like im just another sheep at these "archi-functions" and lets face it talking to other architects these days, especially at those sort of networking events is really depressing. 

So I'm starting to look for new opportunities to constructively spend my free time. What organizations are you involved with. Does anyone have experience with the Masons, Kawanis or the Rotary Club? Are these organizations worth my time? Any others I should be looking into? Advice? 

Sep 7, 11 4:11 pm
won and done williams

This was a pretty good thread from a few years back.

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/53239/beyond-the-country-club-the-sister-of-your-best-freind-s-cousin

I used to think that these types of social or service clubs were good places to network, but my opinion has changed over the years. Most members of social or service clubs aren't there to talk about architecture or building projects. Some may take an interest in your work, but this doesn't usually in my experience translate into much work.

My opinion is the best place to generate new work is at work, maintaining a strong client network, staying in touch with past clients, offering your time when you can to potential clients. This is the stuff that brings in new work.

Leave the social clubs for socializing and the service clubs for service.

Sep 7, 11 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: