Archinect
anchor

milan

highrise

Any recommendations of what to go see over a long weekend?

May 26, 05 9:37 am
Jefferson

il duomo.
shopping district...high fashion
go north to the dolomites.
have fun!

May 26, 05 9:54 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

ah milano...
where young lars saw his first hookers on the way
back to the hostel...that and a giacometti exhibit
before i knew who he was...

there are a couple museums that i went to while
there...the torture musem...sounds interesting
in theory..but really disturbing in reality...especially
when some of the medieval stuff is still in use today.

there's also a massive museum that just keeps
going and going...it has everything...a couple full
size trains...a frigate...half a cruise ship...cars. just
really interesting place to explore because it just
keeps going and going...

May 26, 05 10:02 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

ok...

a couple other things...
there's an old castle which is interesting

leonardo da vinci's last supper of course
la scala...

and i found that museum i was talking about..

"Museum of Science and Technology
This interesting museum, which is named after Leonardo da Vinci and which was recently renovated and housed in an old monastery, is one of the most interesting science museums in the whole world. 40,000 square meters of exhibition space for subjects ranging from astronomy to computers. The models and machines built to the design by the great Tuscan genius cannot be missed."

May 26, 05 10:07 am  · 
 · 
cvoogt

the castle, not far from the duomo. i recommend that if only to see the building, though they have a Michelango exhibit at the moment I think.
another shopping / more of a going out area is via spiga.

May 26, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 

if you go to the duomo be sure to pay the (small) fee to climb to the roof. when i went last spring it was filled with people sunbathing, chatting, picture taking... felt kinda like i had gone to the beach for an hour or two. Maybe Superstudio had it backwards. The beach isn't under the paving, its above.

great views and pleasantly surreal.

also go to the fortress to see michelangelo's tortured sculpture from the period just before he died. pure bliss.

May 26, 05 10:27 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

2 words: SAN SIRO!

by the castle, people mean the Castello Sforzesco?

May 27, 05 5:19 am  · 
 · 
cvoogt

Castello Sforzesco indeed.

May 27, 05 6:58 am  · 
 · 
matteo

what are u looking for? something architectural? something cultural? something funny? shopping?
architecture: duomo, gallery vittorio emanuele, la scala (brand new from botta), piazza mercanti, tower velasca, skyscraper pirelli, central train station, castello sforzesco, colonne san lorenzo, università statale, rotonda della besana, court hall, churches: santa maria delle grazie, san'eustorgio, san'ambroigio, san satiro, san simpliciano, san alessandro, san lorenzo, san maurizio.
Cultural: museo della scienza e delle tecnica, last supper, brera, museo poldi pezzoli, triennale.
Fun: hanging out at the beach under the arch of peace inside the parco sempione nearby the roman arena then navigli or brera at night.
Shopping: via vittorio emanuele($$), c.so porta ticinese ($$), montenapoleone($$$$......$), via della spiga($$$$$)

May 27, 05 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: