Archinect
anchor

L-systems, D0L-Systems for Generating Architecture

Kristix You! Black Emperor

Hey guyz, I'm new here, from Italy and saw many of you talking about programs that use L-systems asn D0L-Systems to generate forms in randomish ways differing by the input, the same method Marcos Novak and Xefirotarch studio does. My question is what programs are those! Is there a possibility to integrate those (like scripts) in 3d modelling progs like 3DS or Maya?Are those commercial and please tell me names of this progs. I'm so terribly anxious to try that experience that everyone describes fun and creative! Thnx alot Arch-Kommunity.
k

May 18, 05 4:42 pm
a-f

Why not integrate Lindenmayer-systems (D0L-systems is the simplest version of L-systems) in Maya or 3DS by doing some scripting? It's easy math after all. Create a recursive algorithm that creates nodes in a tree of specified depth. See nthd.org

May 18, 05 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Problem is that I rarely use cripts and anyways I would like to experience in doing something more corpous than simple trees or snow flakes. What about b-spline blobs or cells?? I know I'm ignorant about this theme but hope you'll open my eyes on those complicated math stuff!

May 18, 05 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
makmak

architectually speaking, a program is associated with particular activities or events happening in a spatial condition, such as kitchen and toilet. L-systems as a programme, you could imagine it as human body, it has certain degree of processing function. It demand input and produce output. The scripting of it was traditionally done on a roll of paper. Some people are trying to out smart the systems by feed the output back into its input loop, the so-called negative feedback loop. Caution with this process, it might cause you frequently revisit this particular program. When the user reach its desirable outcome, they usually push the button, flush it down, and wash their hand, walk away. So this program becomes a matter of convenience for most people.

May 18, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, but I wanna try it. I saw many of the works at Columbia Uni and they were Awsome http://www.arch.columbia.edu/Studio/Spring2004/Alonso/
Damn I hate it I live in Italy, the oportunities here of experimenting like this are Nothing!!! What about progs to use actually for having some stuff like those students did under Alonso direction!

May 18, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

It isn't complicated math stuff, more of an approach to algorithms. L-systems doesn't mean "b-spline blobs or cells", it's only a recursive approach to build up systems by successively replacing single parts with multiple, usually smaller, parts, typically generating a tree or a fractal-like structure. See the wikipedia for a strict definition. Of course you could use L-systems for something like connecting metaballs or splines, but there is no singular approach to this - it's like asking for a script to generate Terragni buildings.

May 19, 05 4:28 am  · 
 · 

Do people like Xefirotarch use L-systems or what? I wonder what software do they use !!! Marcos Novak said that he did the data-driven forms and then put them into a modelling prog like studio max and then render with renderman!!! In a workshop he did in rome he made students use Formz.

May 19, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

All of these programs have some sort of scripting environment. While you do not need to be a hard core scripter to get some easy results, it will help to know some of the nomenclature of the scripting language each program uses. FormZ recently added scripting support, though, "action" - like macros have been integrated into the program for a few versions. With this method, you can record what you do, and this becomes the basis for how you affect objects. I have seen macros get ridiculously complex and uncontrolable. But if you understand what you are doing, you might be able to get the results you want. Other programs have similar tools. For example, 3D Studio has something within maxscript (is that what it is called?) that listens to your actions on objects. I believe you can save this out as a script . . . I think Maya Mel script has a similar function. These "listeners" helped me understand the code language in relation to what I was doing in the program.

May 19, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

kristi? are you herman alonzo? you seem to pump them quite a bit.

dont be fooled, if your not.. none of these peoples really uses these things they talk abouts. they only make curves and stuffs by eye. herman especially. most of them claim to be an "honest" bunch, but really still get the fear when it comes time to explain their work, so they make up "systems"

do not be fooled.

May 19, 05 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Thanx Wisof for opening my mind. In fact my prof of Automatic Design here in the faculty of florence told me about scripts and maxscript that you could manage to have all the thing you have done during 3d operations translated in scripts and then if you wanted, to change smth inbetween. But now I'll surely get some script manual and start scripting on max. Thanx again. Hey are you a teacher or what, wisof! You have seen Novak for real! Awsome.
Hotsies, maybe you're right that's an interesting point of view as architects role in projecting seems to be "cancelled" by form generating softwares.
Ciao from Italy

May 19, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Can anyone give me an interesting script!!!

May 20, 05 8:36 am  · 
 · 

Is anyone here from Columbia Uni, under H.D. Alonso? I had some questions!
http://www.arch.columbia.edu/Studio/Spring2004/Alonso/

May 30, 05 9:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: