Archinect
anchor

So I had the interview with Gensler Studio 585 in nyc...now what?

bande_a_part

So I had the interview last week...thought it went well. I got interviewed twice in one day (by different people). They liked my portfolio, although the studio director seem to question my comfort level with autocad since I'm still learning it right now. Other than that, both interviews went pretty smoothly and they told me that they'll let me know by the end of the week...

However, I didn't hear from them at all last friday so I spent the weekend feeling kind of depressed and assuming that I didn't get the summer internship. Did a follow-up this morning and apparently they are not even done with interviewing all the candidates.

I guess I'll just have to wait but it SUCKS and to all the undergrads out there, LEARN AUTOCAD fast as you can even if your school doesn't requires it.

May 16, 05 3:47 pm
SullivanJ

The waiting game always sucks, but you just have to do it. And keep calling them every so often even if you feel like your are being a pain. The always say that they will contact you by a certain time and they usually don't get back to you until you call. Every firm is different but that is what I have experienced. You should feel good about having a good interview and that they liked your portfolio. Keep working on other firms just in case too. Learn auto cad as fast as you can soooo important not stressed enough at some schools. Also be honest about your auto cad skill level. You never know what test someone will give you at an interview..

May 17, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Do call occasionally to check in, but don't sound impatient. We had a search recently that went on a few weeks longer than we'd anticipated. We indicated to a few early candidates that we'd probably have a decision within a week when in fact things stretched to several weeks. When these early people called in we explained the situation and the reasons for it. One of the candidates became somewhat angry on her 2nd or 3rd call and implied that we had no intention of hiring her and just didn't want to tell her. We were not in fact stringing her along endlessly and she was a contender for the position - until the angry phone conversation.
Employers understand that candidates may not be able to wait and that if our hiring decisions drag on we may lose candidates. Nonetheless circumstances do arise that can cause delays. If you can't wait and no longer wish to be considered then you should inform the firm. If you are still very interested then let them know. Do work on a backup plan.

May 17, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

you might want to do a fast-track with autocad with some friends. A friend of mine who was a total klutz at autocad sat with me for around 4 days while i taught her the basics to get her upto speed, and she got the job she was interviewing for.

CAD is extrememly important, let people say what they want to, the bottomline is that without the skills its almost impossible to get any job, sorry.

May 17, 05 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
bande_a_part

Just found out that I didn't get the internship....

feeling kind of sad

May 23, 05 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: