Archinect
anchor

Architecture or Car design?

tjdlghkd

Hi im a designer hopeful and would like to study either car design or architecture after graduation.

up til now i didn't really look into architecture but now i would like to know more about this industry.

Because i live in New Zealand, which schools have good reputations in Australisia?  And if i were to choose either Victoria or Auckland uni. which would be a better choice?

And hows the architecture employment rate around the world? Can you land a job straight after bach, graduation? Also, approx salary?

Thank you very much

Kind regards

Sep 3, 11 7:02 am
Medusa

I considered car design after finishing my B. Arch, but after joining a forum similar to this one, I realized that their world is very similar to ours in terms of pay, work conditions, lifestyle, etc, but your employment options are much more limited.  If you do end up going with car design, there are some very good schools in Milan with industrial design programs focused on the auto industry.  If you are particularly good, you might score an internship with Lamborghini.  Good luck!

Sep 3, 11 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Calling diabase....dia, tune in please.

Sep 3, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I considered car design, too (and looked at RISD).  Ended up going to the RISD summer arch intro, which sold me on architecture.  Great school, btw, and if you think about coming to the states I'd highly recommend looking at it, for either arch or some other design.

Now, if the software that is available now was available then, I probably would have gone that route (and ended up in industrial design).

Glad I could be of a great help!    ;-)

Sep 3, 11 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

before going into architecture, I studied industrial design at San Jose State University where we used special purpose software to create NURBS forms for car design, we had to hand calculate each control point to insure curve continuity -The software and computers were donated from PDI Dreamworks - I created some electric car designs but then I evolved into designing environments for vehicles which in turn led to architecture where I got my M.Arch and where I am now working. - meanwhile - TESLA happened in Redwood City and Palo Alto  creating electric cars - Increasingly, Tesla is doing more powertrain work for Toyota -  back to Architecture and Industrial design Maya is good for both. So is Rhino

Sep 3, 11 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Responding to your call Donna,

tjdlghkd: what do you mean that you are a designer, and want to study architecture or car design after you graduate? 

Both have different design streams. From what I know about automotive design, Britain is where it is at in terms of study. Have a look here, here and here

If it were me, I would look at AUT's Design School or Auckland University's Elam Art School and then look to foray that into Automotive Design in the UK.

In terms of Architecture, Victoria and Auckland University are good. In Australia, RMIT, UNSW, Uni of Melb and UTS should be considered. 

Sep 4, 11 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia

My mistake - 'hopeful designer'

Sep 4, 11 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: