Archinect
anchor

architecture vs. interor design

cocopi

hi! i'm new here, and this is my first time where i've actually posted in a forum. i know...how could this 22 year old go through her life without ever posting in a forum? well...i never felt comfortable doing it, but i have read through the forums, and i find that people actually care to respond. they seem sincere in their answers, and they aren't afraid to voice their opnions. so before i begin my post, i just want to say that this website is awesome! i was looking through the forums, and i find the discussions really helpful. there's lots of great info. about the architecture world here at archinect. :)

so.......

i was reading an article about the gaps between interior design and architecture. it caught my attention because i was thinking about getting a b.a. in interior design at cal state sac and then a master degree in architecture at sciarc. in my mind i was thinking that understanding the interior of a building is just as important as the outside of the house, but then the article mentioned the distinction between interior architecture and interior design. i think what i'm more interested in is interior architecture, not interior design. are there any bachelor programs out there that focuses on interior architecture? but i guess it doesn't really matter because i'll learn about interior architecture when i'm in grad school but just not as detailed, right? oh and i was looking at cal state long beach's b.a. interior design program (can't you tell i want to stay in cali? i love kalifornia! haha.), and it seems like they focus a little more on interior architecure, so that's one school that i'm now interested in.

anyway, i'm just a little confused and am unsure whether i should just go into architecture or spend the time studying interior design and then architecture. i'm interested in both, but ultimately, i know i want to be an architect. i thought maybe i could study something else for undergrad and then architecture for grad. anyone's opinion would really help because my parents aren't much help. they think i should pick one or the other since i'm 22 without a bachelor's degree and don't want me "wasting" any more time trying to figure out what i want to do. they weren't too enthusiastic when i withdrew from an university after studying nutrition science for two years to take art classes at a community college while figuring out what it is i truly want to do. i DON'T consider it a waste since i want a job that i am actually interested in and excited about. i mean a job that pays well would be nice, but if that's the ultimate reason why someone chose that career, that's just pathetic. i don't understand how some people can do that. anyway, i think taking the time to figure yourself out is really important. what's a few more years when i have the rest of my life to work? but then my parents say that since i finally figured out that i want to be an architect, why not spend the two years that i would spend at cal state sac studying interior design at a community college getting an associates degree in architecure and then apply to a 4-year college where they offer b.arch. apparently, it saves money, and since it's their money...they have a point. anyway, anyone's viewpoint besides my own and my parent's would greatly help. i do feel guilty for making them pay more if i attend cal state sac. i have applied for work-study, but still... 2 yrs at a 4-year state college and then obtaining a m.arch. would be more expensive than associates in architecure at a community college and than obtaining a b.arch. oh well. on a bigger scale attending a cal state is soo much cheaper than a private college. in a perfect world that won't ever exist...we wouldn't have to worry about money for building projects, for college, for all the neccessities. hmm...but i guess a world like that did exist...when the dinosaurs died and the first human existed. then came the idea of barter and trade, the development of civilization, and viola. here we are today. haha. okay. i digress.

and i'm just curious.....is there really a "turf mentality" when it comes to these two professions? has anyone actually experienced it?

wow. this is a long entry. i congratulate those who actually read every single word of it. :)

May 10, 05 4:06 am
BOTS

1st. - spelling of interior in your post title.
2nd - you know you want to be an architect so study architecture not interior design. It takes long enough to qualify as it is without being diverted by fringe interests.
3rd. - as for "turf mentality" that's Landscape Architecture!

Next consultation please...

May 10, 05 7:44 am  · 
 · 
bigness

ah, BOTS, what would those lost souls do without you?

BOTS surgery is now open!:)

May 10, 05 9:19 am  · 
 · 

so cruel, so cruel.

i know a few who did BID then M.Arch, and didn't seem the worse for it. But they were folks who realised ID wasn't their cuppa and switched professions when they still could. Sensible to make the choice sooner than later if you can.

lots of young architectural practices cut their teeth on what amount to interior design projects before moving on to doing proper buildings. they don't seem to have much trouble doing the work, but am doubtful it works the other way round.

So, basically, do what m. BOTS says. He is very wise.

May 10, 05 9:45 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

yes, BOTS is wise. i've always admired him for the faceless internet forum personality that he is. and he's australian, which is admirable.

May 10, 05 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
cobra

I have a barch in architecture and am working in an Interior Architecture focused firm. -slipped into this torture. Anyway, my point is I do not feel like I have lost a step simply due to my lack of id schooling. I feel a good architect can more than handle the interior as well. In the end, what seems to happen though is a good architect does not find it worth his/her time doing stacking plans and office workstation layouts. thus the need for an interior designer.

May 10, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I did the under grad in Landscape Arch. and a master's in Arch. Good over lap and you can take on interiors if you wish, although I hate doing fabrics and furniture.

May 10, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
cocopi

i checked for spelling errors, too, and the error that i happened to miss would be in the title. haha. figures.

anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. so barch it is. i actually got into cal poly pomona but not as an architecture major. should i still accept pomona's offer, take a few pre-arch. classes at pomona, and then apply for the architecture program? or should i decline my admission and build my architecture portfolio at a community college and then apply for the architecture program at pomona?

May 10, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

maybe talk to the profs is easiest way.

not certain what you can learn at community college re architecture; drafting ('less the system is different in the states than canada) ?

May 10, 05 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
phreak125

stay away from a community college if you are just looking at taking CAD pumping classes. taking beginnning art classes, photo classes, and art history will benefit you no matter which school you are going to, but getting rid of your gen eds is easiest and best at the school you want to end up at so that you don't have to worry about credits not transferring.

the kids that were art majors for their first two years of school had the best schedules the last two years of our 5 year Barch degree since they had all their gen eds taken care of and could take higher up art classes to fill in their 12 credit minimums.

if you really want to get a feel for architecture, and maybe some insight into the real differences between interior design and architecture, then go try to get a summer internship in a small/medium sized firm that does both. that way you can SEE what people do, instead of just hearing what they supposedly do from your teachers who romanticise the whole process.

the less they expect from you as an intern, the more you will be able to see what really goes on, so going in with no experience is a good thing imho. yeah you do most of the mailers and photocopying, but you also get to float around the office more and hear people complain about their daily tasks to you.

if a whole summer of that doesnt scare you off, then you are on your way to being one of us ;o)

May 11, 05 10:45 am  · 
 · 
phreak125

i know its kinda late for the internship suggestion, but it might still be worth a shot if you hurry and look now...

May 11, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Before you keep reapplying to Pomona, I'd also advise you to check out all of the other architecture schools in California for undergrad. The programs vary greatly. The Cal-Poly schools are definitely more technical. If you want to go more theoretical or design oriented - I'd actually look to some of the other schools.

May 11, 05 10:58 am  · 
 · 
cocopi

i think an internship is a good idea, but i don't know where to look. i looked at the job posting on this site, but i don't think that's the right place to look. should i just look up architect firms and ask if they would like an intern or volunteer to work around the office. i don't mind doing the mailing and photocopying as long as i can get a feel for architecture. i'm going to ask some of the professors on campus at my jc about possible internships, but if you guys know any links i can go to, that would be great.

oh and i would rather go to a design-oriented undergrad school. i heard sci-arc was more design oriented. i'll do more research about other schools though. which architect schools would you go to in california and why?

May 11, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

I am graduatin the is smester with a Bachelor of Interior ARchitecture from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. I would same to some serious research and make sure the program you end up with isn't "decorating, aschemes, and colors based" At SAIC it's heavily structure based. It's great having the balance of Architects, Interior Designers, and Artists as my professors. They've also just started an Arch. program here and are trying to get acc. The only problem: most states don't allow anyone to claim the title "Interior Architect" b/c there is no licensing like ther is for Arch. So you get stuck being considered as an Interior Designer...MY Professional Practice Instructor Cindy Colman said a good way to present yourself (until we can legally say Interior Architect in Illinois) is to say "I'm a designer" deisgner of spaces, objects... Holds off on the stereotypes at little longer...Ummm hope this helps.

May 11, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

this is what ive heard time and time again from int. design students themselves:

an arch. major can do interiors pretty well (sometimes we archtects lose out on interior materials, accetns to the space etc etc but that comes with practise and being on jobs sites), but it is really difficult for interior design graduates to do architectural projects...

so i would go for architecture to keep your options more open at the end of your course.

i have many friends who graduated from interior design schools, and most of them have diversified. 3 of them are industrial designers now, one is a lighting designer, one is a set designer and one more wants to apply for a m.arch I program...so go figure

May 11, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner

i can't spell...final crit is tomorrow...sorry for the apparent stupidity

May 12, 05 2:49 am  · 
 · 
starkdesigner

I understand the confusion. I live in Baltimore, Maryland. I just recently graduated from a Community College of Baltimore County with Interior Design degree. During my last year in the program (I was in school for a while as I had to go part time) I was unsure of where my future would be. Through my progression, I started leaning towards Commercial Interior Design. With the help of my program coordinator she was able to develop a correlation agreement Morgan State University, and I would get my BA in Architecture in about two years, I am starting this fall. Having this background I have been told is extremely beneficial for what I would like to do. I may get a Masters in Interior Design one day, but I should be able to qualify for a firm position with this type of background. One thing you have to put into consideration, you may not want to get a Masters right away, as most job listings require not only a degree, but work experience. I hope this helps. Your forum topic has given me some ideas, so thank you. 

Jul 5, 11 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: