Archinect
anchor

Laptop for Arch student

YoungArch

I am a 4th year architecture student and am looking to purchase a laptop. I am on a limited budget and have narrowed my choices down to a few different machines. I am not sure that they have the best graphics card for rendering and the programs that I use (Rhino, 3ds Max, Revit, Cad) so I need a little help deciding. Which machine would you choose for yourself? Or do you know of a better suited machine in the same price range?

Asus

Samsung

Acer (I would upgrade this to the max 16bg RAM)

Lenovo

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Aug 26, 11 10:22 pm
Smile of Fury

I think the ASUS looks pretty good. Has a faster HD and the best video card of the group.

There is a lot of good information on CG Architect and on this benchmark website.

Anything you'd want to know is probably already written in the Hardware & Technical Discussions forum on CG Architect.

Aug 26, 11 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
lionshcra

Questions I would consider when buying a new laptop (aside from budget, warranty, etc.) (these may not all apply to you, it's just how I think)

1. Does my software take advantage of the multiple cores?

2. Should I prioritize a graphics card or cpu?

3. Does my operating system take advantage of the additional memory? (my 32bit Windows 7 Operating system only uses 3gb of my 4gb memory)

My comments:

I know Asus for reliable laptops and making quality motherboards (for desktops anyway)

The cpus you listed all seem to be pretty similar (or the same?)

I too would recommend the ASUS at first glance, but 

Aug 27, 11 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Median

I have had 2 Lenovo's. 1. a Thinkpad and 2. a Ideapad (which is the current one)

All I can say is my next laptop will not be a Lenovo.  Within 1 year both USB ports stopped working, the Laptop constantly overheats and shuts down, constant blue screen of death, and if you unplug the laptop the batter gets really really hot and drains. 

I found out that these are all very common issues that many people have complained about on the Lenovo forums. Of course in order to fix the computer they tell me I have to send it in for 2-4 weeks, which as a architecture student is not feasible at all...

Don't get a Lenovo they went from amazing quality to cheap junk.

Aug 27, 11 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
tussyswat

i;m a little bit computer freak architect with an 20 years experience in computers, im 31 years old and the first computer i got i was 9  so my recomendation its try to by a DELL precision Series or any trade that have Small and Medium Bussiness segment, cuz those computers have setting specific for the work do you task, 

so actually y have a Dell PRecision M4400 since 2 years ago in wich i run Archicad, Sketchup, Rhino,  Grasshopper, Adobe Creative Suite, Cinema 4D, Vray, Ecotect, an a lot of others programs that i'm always testing and the computer its just a Core 2 Duo with 4gb of Ram Memory and a internal Disk of 300 gb  but with an NVIDIA QUADRO enhanced for 3D applications . 

so my computer when i bought it the retail price was 2000 dolars arround, and i bougth it refurbished for just 1,200 

Why i bought refurbished equipment :  

1 - Price drop down.
2 - Those equipment are really tested for whom send it back to the company to be fixed   or rebuild 

3- Have the same Guarantee like a new one. 

Aug 29, 11 10:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: