Archinect
anchor

UCLA acceptance/rejection decisions

heterarch

FYI to all those who still haven't received any notice from ucla (despite the fact that many schools have acceptance deadlines on the 15th). I just spoke with someone there who actually seemed to know what they were talking about (a first in all the times I've tried calling there) and was told that they are STILL making decisions. Of course, I told them as politely as I could that I wouldn't be waiting any longer for their decision, given how ridiculously late it is in the process.
Three other bits of info then - one: I was also told that there would be an email to accompany the snail mail acceptance/rejection, so if you're worried that yours may have gotten lost in the mail - but haven't gotten an email either - then it's most likely that they simply still haven't gotten to your application.
two: the whole process is a 'rolling' admission, so the closer to the deadline you submitted your application, the more likely they haven't gotten to it yet.
three: which brings us to this piece of advice - for those of you looking to apply to ucla next year, make damn sure you get your application in as early as you can. otherwise, it isn't worth your money or time to have to wait till after the deadlines for your other schools pass before you hear back from ucla.

closure?

Apr 12, 05 6:54 pm
Nancy

f*** ucla (uh-oh, I hope I don't start a riot)

Apr 12, 05 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
Illenium

heterarchy -

If the rolling admissions thing is true, I would be so pissed. I had everything ready by early December, didn't send in the application package until late December, with plenty of time before the Jan. 5th deadline.

I got a e-jection from UCLA a couple of weeks ago. Are you saying that if I had mailed in the same application package maybe a month earlier I would have had a better chance of getting in? That's what I think when I hear "rolling admissions"

Apr 12, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Nancy

actually, now that I think of it, i sent mine in on december 18th. and yea, no word, of course.

Apr 12, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

you guys know what i know. :) i don't know if their rolling admissions process is actually 'first come, first served' or not... that certainly would seem to be the implication. but that just seems stupid to me. what if the best applicants were all grouped at the end of the period? i don't know.
what i do know is that they really should make certain to let applicants have SOME idea of what's going on, and should have had all their decisions made weeks ago. very unprofessional.
then again, i'm pretty much the antithesis of 'professional', so who am i to judge? :)

Apr 12, 05 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

i didnt send mine in untill the day before the deadline.... i recieved my acceptance by mail 3 weeks ago in late march and my email last week.

so, hopefully that disproves the first come first served idea and also to add some strength to that disproval, i only got into one other school i applied to, so i wasnt an exceptional candidate by any means.

im not exactly sure what rolling applications mean, but im sure that if you are a worthy candidate you would get accepted. at least id like to think so.

Apr 12, 05 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

i send my app on the last day..
and i have gotten email from them and filled out the decision form.

go to the grad division site, check you decision status..

at first prompt put your email adress;
second prompt; password

then you should see a letter with links to decision forms..

Apr 12, 05 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i went to ucla 3 years back and i back nancy

F... UCLA... rather f... the admissions dept

Apr 13, 05 1:38 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

I think they probably meet once a week and judge 20 portfolios from which they pick 3-4.....

do they have a waitlist? Can you imagine how SLOW that one would be?

the stupid link is not updated. How come some people get letters/links/open house info while others get nothing?

Even if they accept me, it's down to columbia MSAAD or Yale M.Arch II (waitlist). Both of these schools sent me a letter in EARLY march, and I'm not even in the US.......

Apr 13, 05 6:01 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

i'm with you barbaric, except i already decided on columbia.
43N: interesting. hopefully you're right that those who deserve to, get in.. but regardless, there is NO way that making even one person who applied wait this long is correct. we know they don't get more apps than other schools that have already turned decisions around. even if they just sent out an email saying, "we are currently still reviewing applications, we anticipate having your response to you in the next blah blah weeks"..
pasha: i check the link almost every day, even though i've already made up my mind to go elsewhere. STILL no change, and from the phone call i had with the guy at ucla, i don't expect that the website will be updated before an email is sent, maybe not till after you've gotten your snail mail.. so basically, the website is worthless. did you find out on the website first? if so, please disprove my supposition, it would at least make me a little less cyncial... :)

Apr 13, 05 7:52 am  · 
 · 
frozenmusic

I don't think there is a pattern here like some are suggesting.

I sent my application December 28 from outside US and it certainly arrived after the deadline of Jan 5. I was accepted and got a fellowship too but no email yet from Graduate Division.

I called admissions at Graduate Division and the lady said the April 15 deadline means nothing as long as you didn't receive an email from Grad Div. She also said she'll check my application and email me, so maybe you should give'em a call guys!

Apr 13, 05 8:40 am  · 
 · 
aisle#11

I sent my application 3 days before the deadline. Received departmental acceptance letter 3 weeks ago but am still waiting for the email from the Grad Division.

I called Jim yesterday and he said that many people who have been accepted are still waiting for the email from the Gad. Div. And although 4/15 is still the deadline, people who have been accepted but didn't receive the email by the deadline will not lose their spots.

If there is a waitlist, the dept. still has to wait for the replies from those people before making further actions.

In any case, I think applicants don't need this kind of administrative uncertainty in addition to the already stressfull application process. But that's just what I think.

Sameolddoctor, you went to UCLA 3 years back and what made you hate the admission dept so much?

Apr 13, 05 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

geez. geez.

Apr 13, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
CCC

If it's any consolation, UC Berkeley is similarly clogged with bureaucracy. The department sent me an email a few weeks ago, and has no idea when Grad Admin will sort things out (but Grad Admin won't change the decision unless you're a fraud, and they don't seem to actually bother to figure that out). To further frustrate, they said that financial aid paperwork will not be mailed out until May, well after Berkeley's own (late) April 25 deadline. When I told them that such lack of coordination is ridiculous and unacceptable, they said, "Yeah, we know, but that's how it is. Oh, by the way, you'll probably get loans. [Probably?! What the heck do you mean?] Well, let me take a look. Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee you'll get loans. We don't have any grant/scholarship money. Or actually, we already gave it away. There was only enough for 5 people. Oh, you have a nice package from another good school? That's nice." Come on. I know CA is having budget issues right and left, but I'd really like to Terminate this whole mess and cut to the chase. Show some respect for all those people like us who would like to attend school in this state, and made an effort to meet the early deadlines.

Apr 13, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
frozenmusic

Man, did I work hard to meet those very early deadlines!
Why do they make'em so early anyway??!
I remember calling several schools in early february and all of them never even started looking into those applications and had stacks and stacks of unopened application mail...!!

Apr 13, 05 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
smuggs

I'm in the same boat. Received the departmental acceptance letter at least a month ago, haven't heard anything from them since. Apparently all the delay is caused by the Graduate division, at least that's what Jim tells me. I thought i'd receive the letter before i heard anything from SCI-Arc, but I have actually received all my forms from SCI-Arc already.
I'm heading out to LA tonight. I'll be at UCLA tomorrow and I'll definitely snoop around and see what information i can pry from the bureaucracy...

Apr 13, 05 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
jaspyt

I haven't got shit from UCLA yet,

I called and was told that they are still making decisions, and all decisions will be made by April 15th. I was also told that emails indicating accepted/denied and financial aid info will be sent out...

s t r e s s

Apr 13, 05 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

I called last week kindly reminding them that an OPEN HOUSE had passed and no word on my status.......
First, the girl said "don't worry, there's another open house coming up" then she put me on hold and had to deny what she said........
apparently all decisions will happen this friday.................
D-day is here (all that's keeping me interested are the palm trees and in+out burger memories)

Apr 13, 05 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

A sweatshirt in China is called an UCLA (ooh-kla). Someone told me once. That's hilarious!

Apr 13, 05 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
TEJAS

i sent my app. the day before it was due and received my acceptance letter about 3.5 weeks before the final decision date. they told us during the open house that they only accept about 40 students for the m arch 1 program, and there were about 30 (m arch1) studnets there, assuming that those others that did get accepted did'nt show. they also said they received over 400 applications.

Apr 14, 05 12:24 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

tejas.. congrats buddy.. make us proud!!! ten cuidado con los bikinis..!!

Apr 14, 05 12:44 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

any bets on UCLA finally taking a decision and removing us from purgatory? Is this really going to be UCLA D-Day? I keep asking myself why I still care......

Apr 15, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
adrineaa

I thought i was the only one left who didn't know. At this point though I am beyond caring. I figure if they wanted me i would've known by now. but 400 apps and only 40 acceptances that's a 10% admissions rate, the toughest i've seen yet. Who knew? I guess everyone wants to come to LA.

Apr 15, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

must be the bikinis tejas and eltomas are talking about..........

Apr 16, 05 12:43 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

I don't know about you guys, but friday has come and passed and no word.

Admission status not updated.

no email, no letter, no phone call (ha! I live overseas!)

UCLA is like a partner who is cheating on you and you know it.........people have been accepted/rejected A MONTH AGO.......This is not rocket science. You either want a student or not, or atleast put him officially on a waitlist or give him some kind of notice.....

this is inacceptable. They are not worth it. Is this the beginning of the silent waitlists?

Apr 16, 05 12:51 am  · 
 · 
TED

lighten up barbaric. i have been all the other voices on this thread with my aliases and have pretended to get/not get responses from UCLA. so. no one has heard anything. its friday afterall. its california -- everyone goes to the beach from 10: am on to surf. the weather is great.

Apr 16, 05 1:10 am  · 
 · 
ABlocha

barbaric ... That is "Un"acceptable.

Apr 16, 05 1:30 am  · 
 · 
barbaric

forgive me ablocha, for I too am a mere mortal.......

Apr 16, 05 1:34 am  · 
 · 
Nancy

right, so just got an e-mail from kies that i've been accepted into ucla's march2...yes, thank you for telling me the day after columbia's deadline.

Apr 16, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

that's great nancy, at least you finally heard from them. i still haven't. very (in)acceptable indeed.
ted: huh? boy who cried wolf then?

Apr 16, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
jaspyt

i got the email from Jim today, the day after yale's deadline - waitlisted

Apr 16, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

well at least you finally heard from them - about time!

Apr 16, 05 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
aaargink

couple thoughts on a slightly more serious note.

1) welcome to the University of California system, both Berkeley and its puny 3rd sattelite in the back waters of Los Angeles. I thought it sucked too...until I came to Rice...not that Rice is worse, but ain't much better.

2) most grad schools will give you extensions on decisions...just ask and explain. If you really want hear from fUCLA first then tell them, everybody is frazzled at this time and are generally understanding about the fact you're stuck in a bind because of the snafus of thier fellow admission weary colleagues on the left coast. (Rice had relatively late notices last year)

3) I've noticed that staff/telephone people in universities that aren't in the UC system are considerably nicer and more helpful.

4) BUT there are some really good people working there too. For example, if you need to do anything at Berkeley that needs money from the dean, talk to Jeff Sturm. He's awesome.

Apr 17, 05 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Nasim1313

I am really annoyed!!!!! I got accepted to Pratt, Columbia and Sci-Arc for Architecture and Urban design and I already decided mostly on Columbia, but I really want to know what happened with my application in UC Berkeley and UCLA!!! Is this the way they treat their future students as well!!! I am really pissed and I like to take my decision by having all the options on the table!!! BTW if anyone knows anything special about Columbia I would love to know. I already have read so so so much about each program that I think I confused myself even more. My dilemma is mostly between Columbia and Sci-Arc and yes I do know that they are fairly different from one another but I am just taking to many aspects into consideration !! So if anyone has a similar situation and knows anything let me know. Hope this waiting ends soon !

Apr 5, 13 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@Nasim..

Columbia's recent open house --> http://archinect.com/forum/thread/70590403/gsapp-accepted-students-open-house-4-3-13

Apr 5, 13 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: