Archinect
anchor

Looking for apartment in nyc for arch student

sb080

I'm an architecture student at NYIT and i'll be starting my first semester this fall. I'll be living in the dorm room in riverside, but from what I have read and heard the dorms aren't really spacious to do work in. I want to find an apartment but their very expensive. I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to finding an apartment close to school that's affordable. 

Aug 19, 11 6:46 pm
Olivia_Lau

An affordable apartment on the Upper West Side? Sorry, but that's highly unlikely, especially for what college students may consider "affordable." Not to mention, it's a bit late to be looking for an apartment this close to the start of school.

If anything, you may be able to get a few friends together and find an apartment for next year. But for now, make use of any common spaces in your dorm building. No need to be shut inside your room. You never know; your dormmates may find what you're working on kinda interesting.

Aug 19, 11 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Edit

Aug 19, 11 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

If "close" means less than 20 minutes on the subway (which in my world it does) you may want to consider washington heights. You get much more space and places are pretty affordable. You can stay near the A, C or 1 train and be down to NYIT in about 20 minutes. 

Aug 20, 11 12:30 am  · 
 · 
sb080

Thanks guys.

I'm guessing that i'll be in the dorms for at least two semesters. Hopefully I can find a place by next year. I know the upper west side is expensive. I should have mentioned that i wasn't looking around that area. I just wanted to get a head start at what to do when looking for a place i guess. 

hey lee i just wanted to ask if washington heights is a safe neighborhood? 

Aug 20, 11 10:31 am  · 
 · 

Its a safe place. Like all neighborhoods in NYC you can go a few blocks in any direction and hit a sketchy part of town, but over all the west side of washington heights is pretty pleasant and very safe. Its a total hidden gem. 

Aug 20, 11 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

You can find great loft space in Bushwick (Brooklyn) cheap.  I have a friend who has a large space he is subletting.  Email me if you'd like more info.

Aug 20, 11 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

speaking of washington heights, read on ny post some crazy guy (resident) went on a killing spree & stabbed 4 people who answer their doors.

do these things happen from time to time? it's bewildering.

Aug 25, 11 12:07 am  · 
 · 
dblock

Spacious AND live in NYC? How much are you willing to spend?

I moved into the city about 6 months ago. I looked all over. The farther uptown you go the more space you get for your buck. Stuff in the village or downtown  barely fits a bed for the price I'm assuming you are looking for. Finally went uptown since I could fit a desk in my apt up there.

If price is your motive... try Jersey City or Brooklyn, pretty close and you get a decent amount of space.

Aug 25, 11 3:25 am  · 
 · 
sb080

The dorm i'm staying at is $14,580 per academic year. So, if I can get a place that doesn't cost me more than the dorm I think I'll be good. Cheaper would be better though.

Aug 25, 11 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Kamu Kakizaki

live in bushwick (not so bad area)  and i get to manhattan in 20 minutes out of my door. i pay waaaay less than most people in nyc for a large space, rent is just money down the  drain so nothing to invest in. if you're young, i'd recommend somewhere on the L train like williamsburg or bushwick. 

Aug 25, 11 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

The dorm comes out to about $1620 a month (assuming the academic year is 9 months)...

That's pretty cheap. Not sure how much space you need. You can get a studio in UES or harlem possibly... UWS if you'r lucky... I looked at some places downtown for that price and they were closets. Or try brooklyn or Jersey City as mentioned earlier...

Aug 26, 11 4:05 am  · 
 · 
sb080

Thanks a lot everyone! 

Aug 26, 11 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: