Archinect
anchor

Impressions of Syracuse M.Arch?

bzkr

Curious to the general impressions about Syracuse's MArch program. Do you think it ranks up there with the top schools or is it just a little private overpriced university that is irrelavant to the larger counterparts in the northeast?

Mar 24, 05 3:18 pm
ice9

i did a barch at syracuse, which is esentially the same program. probably more so than other schools. syracuse, like cornell, cincinatti, and others, is really centered on the 5-year program. there are some extremely talented faculty at the school (mark linder, julia czerniak, ted brown, etc.). all are incredible educators, and are very centered on education. they aren't practicioners that are teaching to make money. of course, you can imagine all the good and the bad that goes along with that. the new dean, mark robbins, promises to bring the school much more notoriety.
all-in-all, it is a good deal. syracuse grads are hired up faster than almost any other school. the school has a real pedagogy, which is lacking in a lot of the second-tier schools in major cities that might seem to have more impressive faculty (or even a few top-tier schools).
overall, i think it depends on your goals. where do you want to work? what kind of work do you want to do? i think its definately a better education (and result) than nearly every non-california public university. but if you get into the gsd, go to the gsd...

Mar 24, 05 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

Thanks Ice9,

Why do you say the last bit? Let's say not comparing GSD, but likes of Columbia, Penn and other larger state schools like U Mich and U Cinn, which have somewhat of a rep. Loved T. Brown when I met him, and thought the program was respectable, but never hear it mentioned among Northeast block probably because of the shadow of the Ivies. The Florence program seemed really interesting too. Although I don't want to focus on Arch Hist, I thought it would be nice to get a strong grounding in it.

Mar 24, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

well, i work in new york and have worked in chicago. i'm not naming any names, but it is possible to attend lesser architecture schools in or around either city and have some pretty impressive faculty...because those faculty also work in the city. but the overall quality of the education is not very good. whereas at syracuse, you get an excellent overall education, but may not have any superstar professors.

columbia and penn, are ivies...but i think syracuse probably combines the pedagogical rigor of the better ivies, with the appeal that a place like cincinatti has to future employers.

you'll get a strong history background at syracuse, and you will also learn to draw. those are two rather conservative elements of the school that drove me crazy while i was there, and now i quite value.

i would rank it above michigan or cincinatti, but...i'm an alum.

Mar 24, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

I'm a b'arch alum. It has a reputation for quality graduates from what I've experienced.

Mar 24, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
pickle

I'm a went to Cornell for undergrad and did my graduate work at Yale. For the most part, we always thought that Syracuse was weak. They have a decent study abroad program though, but do you really want to spend all that money for one good semester. I would seriously think twice about going there...

Apr 2, 05 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

umm...and exactly who does cornell have as permanent faculty...?

i think its the duty of cornellians to think syracuse is weak. the fact is that the programs are almost identical and now, with the new dean at syracuse, i think syracuse actually has a bit more momentum. i mean, syracuse isn't the most elite school, but to call it weak is just silly and uninformed.

Apr 3, 05 9:46 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

don't let pickle bait you, ice9!

Apr 3, 05 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
pickle

Tell me anything meritable about the program. Everyone likes to think well of their schools, but not all programs are great. I thought Cornell was decent but know much more now. Think twice about where you go is all im sayin...

Apr 4, 05 1:11 am  · 
 · 
c

i went up to look at Syrc. back in november, and was hit by how isolated the town was- though i imagine i'd be spending most time in the studio anyway, i've thought twice about deliberately putting myself miles away from the "scene" in nyc or the rest of the east coast...

[ by scene i guess i mean schmoosing and connections and firms...]

did anyone there find that to be a problem?

Apr 4, 05 4:06 am  · 
 · 
ice9

ok, i won't be baited. pickle may think what he will...

c- the geographic isolation is definately an issue, if that is important to you. but as far as making connections, i think there are good opportunities. in my graduating class (which was before the recession) we had on-campus interviews with firms from all over the country. most graduating thesis students who participated recieved more than one offer before graduation. not all of those fims were great...but the point is that (for better or worse) syracuse grads. are considered among the most "employable" of all schools. i made it my goal to make the right friends at syracuse, and i've never had a problem getting a job, and this year i got into princeton and yale for post-pro programs. that said, its not like going to columbia where all of your professors have firms in the city.

Apr 4, 05 7:35 am  · 
 · 
bzkr

Ice9,

Pickle is a moron.

Have you made a decision yet about your post-pro? Am interested to hear your opinions about why you would choose one program over the other. Are you going for the larger Yale or more close-knit Princeton program?

Could be wrong-- but take it that Syracuse was a smaller program (eg, number of students) and had none of the CNC machines and laser cutters that so many "current" programs tout. Since you did your undergrad there, is any of this important to you? Or do you feel that classic design practices and strong academics cut it just as well?

I am currently trying to assess what's more important to me, very strong academics and relevant practice, or solid academics and cutting-edge practices? Assuming Syracuse is closer to the former and less the latter.

Apr 4, 05 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

bzkr-

i think your impression is fairly accurate. the former dean at syracuse maintained a policy of implementing technology as a design resource, but not necessarily a design generator. he was a bit stubborn, so i think the technology facilities are a bit behind the curve. but i know there are some laser cutters...i still use them for some research projects with the faculty there. i think the new dean will be more aggressive...and his NEA experience will hopefully net a better endowment.

my post-pro decision is still up in the air...the program i'm interested in at yale is the MED, so its actually quite small within the larger school (maybe i'll see pickle there). i feel like an MArch from princeton is more of a sure thing, while the MED would be very dependant on my ability to use the university resources to their potential. in a way, my decision will be a referrendum on me.
i visited princeton yesterday, since i couldn't make the open house today. have you every seen the prisoner with patrick mcGoohan? remember the village? that is what princeton reminded me of.
it was all very very lovely, but maybe too perfect...

Apr 4, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

who is number 1?

Apr 4, 05 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

you are number 6.

Apr 4, 05 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

awesome.

Apr 4, 05 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

ice9 ... you are spot on about the Princeton campus. I got the east coast heebie jeebies there more than at Harvard, Yale, or even MIT. It has this weird sylvanic, bucolic fortress aspect to it ....

Apr 5, 05 2:36 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I have a random question-what happens to the people from Princeton M.ArchI? Do they all go off and teach somewhere? Do they all stay in Jersey? I mean, I have NEVER run into a princeton person in a firm. I guess they don't work at regular jobs like the rest of us!

Apr 5, 05 9:07 am  · 
 · 
ice9

smokety-
like the place is populated by hemophiliacs...

but i reiterate, so as not to offend, it was very very lovely.

Apr 5, 05 9:13 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I am the new Number 2

Apr 5, 05 9:16 am  · 
 · 
ice9

kissy-face,

i work for two princeton grads in nyc...

Apr 5, 05 9:57 am  · 
 · 
bzkr

Ice,

I'm going up to Syracuse's open house this week. Anything I should specifically sniff out?

Also, for my tenure there, they are planning to renovate Slocum and relocate the department to temporary quarters in Amory area. Is this a total chafe? I mean, part of the appeal of campus was the 3 minute stroll to large, beautiful houses off Euclid. Now to have to jump in a car and all that? And shuttle back and forth for non-deparment classes. Any thoughts?

Be seeing you...

Apr 5, 05 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

"I'm a man, not a number!"

"Unmutual!"

Apr 5, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

bzkr-
mostly i would suggest talking to faculty. ted brown, who you have met...also anne munly, larry davis...
mark linder and julia czerniak are at ucla this year, but they wil be back next semester. also scope out the thesis students. the quality of the thesis work will be a good barometer of the school.
i think the move to armory square should be ok, if a bit inconvenient. there is alot to do there, and i think parking will be free. i would ask questions about the studios though. will they be wired? how much space will you have? ...

Apr 5, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

Ice9,

Just got back from SU. New Dean is very cool. Ted Brown is stepping down as chair. Mark Linder will be taking over for him.

New space is loft conversion designed by Richard Gluckman, and should be exciting (to some students, but others were quite skeptical about it being completed anytime soon.)

Apr 8, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
barbaric

about cornell and syracuse, I am as well a cornell alum. But I never thought Syracuse University was 'weak' school. On the contrary, I always knew that their undergraduate curriculum was very similar to cornell, stressing design process and drawing.......and there graduate program was seen by many to be as good as, if not better, than cornell when I was there........I applied to their M.Arch II program in Florence, Italy and got accepted.......deciding between it and other schools now........

Apr 9, 05 6:44 am  · 
 · 
ice9

barbaric-
i think your description of the similarities are accurate. about the MArch II... make sure you know who is going to run the program. it could be great, but it could also be ultra-conservative. i think francisco sanin is over there now, and that could be a very nice experience...
bzkr-
mark will make a great chair. he's a real asset.

Apr 9, 05 8:38 am  · 
 · 
kaybyrd

barbaric-
you were accepted to the M. Arch. II program in Florence? me too. and I decided to go. where did you decide?

May 30, 05 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: