Archinect
anchor

Dual or Quad core for Revit 2012

kavvyr

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of buying a dell xps 15 laptop for university and I am having trouble deciding which processor to get.
The first option is: Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
second option is: 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2620M processor 2.70 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz

the second option(dual core) is $100 more than option 1(quad core)
Can anyone give me insight on which is better (quad core with slower clock speed, or dual core with faster clock speed) for multitasking and running programs like revit, photoshop, etc

Aug 8, 11 9:37 pm
technophobia

Quad core is better for multitasking, but you'll want to look into individual programs that may not be optimized for all four cores (Photoshop is optimized for all four, Revit does for rendering). I know things like games in general aren't as well optimized for a quad core CPU and you'd be better off with a faster dual core setup.

Aug 8, 11 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

The 2nd gen i7's are superior to their 1st gen models, if price isn't really an object go for the 2nd gen. In plain terms...lower power consumption, lower temps, increased stability and faster clock speed...

Aug 11, 11 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: