Archinect
anchor

What building type would you most like to design/build

siggers

Museum? private home? military installation? underground station?

I personally have always had an urge to design a club (probably because I've been to so many) - a proper out and out dance club with lasers etc - yet what I realise is that there isn't much to design really, and most 'clubs' are practically kitsch, and generally quite boring. Plus mostly people are too pissed/f-cked to appreciate the architecture!

But still, I woud stick with a club ;)

Mar 14, 05 11:54 am
WonderK

I patiently await the day when one of my sets of cool, married, non-architect friends decide to build their own house and want me to design it. I will agree, of course, to design it and manage the building of it as long as they let me pick the site and have complete creative control.

Either that or a bridge. Or a tower. Actually I think it would be funny to design a gas station. But really I haven't thought about it at all :o)

Mar 14, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

A house would be good, especially with a lot of freedom, in fact it would be hard to know where to start given complete freedom, don't you think?

A tower would be cool 8-)

Mar 14, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
e

signum, i heard a guy [owner, possibly] talking about the closing of cbgb's. he said, good thing he was good and drunk when the lights came on at 4am because seeing the club with the lights on was so depressing.

complete creative control, is somewhat ridiculous to ask for in our profession. this is a service based profession. you work for the client. therefore, their needs and wants need to be addressed. they come to you because they like your work, but you can't ignore them.

Mar 14, 05 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

e - cbgb's, have to be honest that's the first time I've heard of it, plus I go clubbing mostly in Scotland, so maybe it's no surprise.

I think after being a student you get used to having "complete creative control" (though "complete sanity control rarely occurs) I don't expect it to happen professionally however!

Mar 14, 05 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

cbgb's is a punk/rock club in nyc. obviously, nothing special in terms of design. just enjoyed him comment.

Mar 14, 05 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I've always thought that a church/temple/what have you would be a nice break, allowing for a 'feeling beyond function' aspect a lot of other projects don't allow as much room for.

Mar 14, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

architect's office or artitst's studio

i don't know about you guys, but seems 2 out of 5 people ask me if i have designed my own dream house yet. frankly i don't really want to design my own dream house because it would be sooo hard and never ending and cost a million dollars plus. this would be far down on the list, just above designing a rendering plant.

Mar 14, 05 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

regarding my last post - i guess it is "dream" house that scares me the most. i really want to purchase a house and work on it, or do a realistic 2000 s.f. house for myself for real, but not a dream house - it sounds real fun but I don't wanna.

Mar 14, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
A

I've got two dreams. One would be a university building that has a massive donor who would let me have 100% design contol. Second would be an historic renovation/adaptive reuse of a historic building. I picture a place like the massive abandoned industrial buildings of detroit. It would be amazing to breathe new life into all that concrete and steel.

What building would I most like to see wiped off the face of the planet - Best Buy stores. Their prototype entrance grates at me more than any other corporate big box.

Mar 14, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
LBG

columbarium

Mar 14, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
AP

this is an easy one: daycare/package liquor store/ lounge and cafe'

Mar 14, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

houseboat

Mar 14, 05 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
db

library

Mar 14, 05 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
AP

of course there's always the parking garage / marine supply store...a fun

Mar 14, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

slaughterhouse

Mar 14, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

db - as i sit here and recount the volumes of books in the library for the millionth time hoping i got it right, i have taken library off my list. it used to sit at the top.

Mar 14, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

vada, look at Caminada's Abattoir/Slaughterhouse in Vrin, Switzerland, if you don't already know it.

indeed, library would be sweet

Mar 14, 05 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

an entire cityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

oops--sorry--just drooling thinking about it

Mar 14, 05 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Museum / private school / performance hall

Mar 14, 05 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

the new barn - agritecture

Mar 14, 05 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

a prison

or a planet

or a prison that is a planet

do planets even count?

Mar 14, 05 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Oana S.

my house. mine mine mine mine mine!

Mar 15, 05 5:01 am  · 
 · 
siggers

captain EO - think about the Death stat - the ultimate modernists dream!

Mar 15, 05 5:06 am  · 
 · 
siggers

stat = Star

*sigh*

Mar 15, 05 5:07 am  · 
 · 
archiphreak

a bar...i figure i spend enough time in them might as well design/build one of my own...

Mar 15, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
e

captain, have you played katamari damancy? you can make stars. and the moon

Mar 15, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: