Archinect
anchor

EXCITING PRACTICE IN CHINA/HK

SpringFresh

I'm looking into working abroad- moving from London to China/HK. I am having real trouble finding out which practices have offices out there- and what the new exciting upcoming practices are that are homegrown.
I am post part 1- (about halfway throught the course)
any suggestions? or advice
and preferably some links.
thanks

Mar 13, 05 4:49 pm
J3

We are currently expanding rapidly in Shanghai:
www.rtkl.com
don't know if this is what you are looking for...

Mar 13, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

arch record had an issue on china last year. i don't remember which issue, but it surveys a group of emerging designers.

Mar 13, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
aparisianguy

Chairman :
Arch Record issue Taboho s talking about is either nov. or dec. 2004.
I actually worked for MADA s.p.a.m., one of these emerging designers.
So, was it exciting ? Sure, but maybe so is any other place in China !

Design wise, MADA is basically a chinese OMA wannabe, with the advantage that Rem actually shows up now and then, this giving them quite a good visibility on the architectural scene. Design team is 100% foreigners, most of them recently graduated.
Pay is lame (last time I met the boss, last july, he was telling me he wanted to stop paying interns...), work hours are huge (I evaluate sround 100 hours worked weekly). Turnover is big (maybe 5 designers out of around 30 architects with over a year experience in the office), projects are fast (expect to change every 3 weeks). Really remembered me of school.
My advice ?
if you want to visit china : avoid, insomniac with a foam fetish? here s good fun for you.

Personnally, I m actually considering going back there pretty soon, but would prefer a decent pay and real career opportunity in the long run.

J3: what can you tell me about rtkl according to (young) designer s freedom according to creativity/design ? oportunity of evolution/carreer ? Pay ?

Mar 13, 05 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
benny_at_bcgstudios

hey mr.mao, u may contact me if u really want to work in hong kong (think twice!), or u can visit www.hkia.net to search for ur favouite.

Mar 14, 05 12:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: