Archinect
anchor

Photoshop optimization on very large files?

buck

For using photoshop on very large files (200mb+)

- how can I 'save' faster? Mine takes 5-6 minutes sometimes...

- how much memory should I dedicate to photoshop (there's a tab in preferences for allocating how much of total RAM photoshop can use)

- does my 'pagefile' have anything to do with this? What in general should my pagefile be set to? (starting + max)

- what should my scratch disk be set at?

- does photoshop use so much memory that I should simply get more? (I have 1GB already)

I'm using: pentium III, windows xp, have 30gb free on my hard drive, 1gb RAM, have recently defragmented including the pagefile,

Thanks!

Mar 11, 05 5:55 pm
BOTS

I have been told that it's good practice is to make your swap file about 1.5 of your RAM size....so 256MB should be set to 384MB but...if you got 512MB, make your swap file 512MB, and when it comes to 1024MB memory...it is not really recommended to exceed 768MB. Both initial and maximum sizezs should be the same.

Swap file properties can be accessed in your system properties area. Quick way to get there is to right-click on 'My Computer' and click properties. Click on the advanced Tab, click performance button, click advanced tab, click virtual memory settings. change the two values based on your memory.

Apply...restart.

Mar 11, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Another thing that will help you is partitioning your HD or simply adding a new one. Photoshop runs a lot better when its scratchdisk is set to a drive that is not running your operating system.

Mar 11, 05 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: