Archinect
anchor

What to do in NYC

To all of you NYC people: I'm about to make my first trip and only have about a day of sightseeing time. What is worth doing? Any suggestions on a hotel near by that won't cost my entire student budget yet is roach free?

Thanks for the help!

Mar 11, 05 2:52 am
melivt

check out the projects by ltl around delancey st. (ltlwork.net)
the D+S restaurant in the seagram's.
pier 11 - smith-miller + hawkinson
prada (oma) @ prince + broadway
apple store around the corner on prince

Mar 11, 05 4:00 am  · 
 · 
Q

Thanks meliasonvt!

Mar 11, 05 10:56 am  · 
 · 
surface

there is something called the White House hostel on Bowery. I have never been in it, but my friend Tate (who is an architect and I assume therefore kind of picky) has recommended it.

Near my apt. there is something called Off Soho Suites which looks a bit like Spencer's gifts, there is the Houston St. Howard Johnson which is typically drab but pretty new and clean, and there is the St. Marks Hotel which is surprisingly nice-looking.

Mar 11, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

Don’t stay in the St. Marks Hotel, it’s a bit shady. (but cheap) but on the other hand, St Mark's street is a good bar hopping destination. Make sure you go to the the MET but only give em a dollar! meliasonvt suggested some good spots. but, one of my favorite spaces in the city isColumbia University its worth the $2 dollar Subway. that should make for a busy day. good luck.....

Mar 11, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
traced

the nomadic museum is very cool, it is on pier 54 (around 13th and west side highway)

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/architecture/11077

Mar 11, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
traced

the nomadic museum is very cool, it is on pier 54 (around 13th and west side highway)

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/architecture/11077

Mar 11, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

theres really not much going on in new york. maybe there's a barnes and noble or you could go see robots!

Mar 11, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
herbst

if you have only a day in NYC...go to the Prada store if you must, but don't waste your time visiting the Apple store.

Mar 11, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
thackray

What I believe to be the best building in NYC is by Raimund Abraham. It is the Austrian Cultural Institute on 52nd St. I will be in NY for one day only next week and along with checking out Taniguchi's MOMA addition I plan on going to the ACI once again. I beleive it is closed on Mondays. Also, the Folk Meuseum by Tsien and Williams is nearby and is a good project to see. Ignore Prada store. It is anti-architecture.

Mar 11, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
aml

on a practical note: apple store is good as free internet access [in case you need your daily archinect dose]

barnes & noble + starbucks make usually acceptable public restrooms

Mar 11, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Q

I keep hearing that I should go to chinatown or little italy for dinner. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! It's a BIG help.

Mar 11, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hmmmm....little italy can rip you off very quickly if you're not careful. Do you like Indian? If so, go to First and Second Aves. south of 8th street and take your pick, it is cheap and tasty......there's a good Thai place on 49th (I think) and 9th Ave......if you want to spend some money, go to the Cafeteria at the Hudson Hotel or Guastavino's.....and for god's sakes, don't eat at the Carnegie Deli! Or anywhere on Times Square. It literally will cost you $10 more than you need to spend.

If this is your first time there, you should really see the Empire State Building. I mean, really. And Ground Zero. I think everyone should see that for themselves. It's changing very quickly these days.....

Mar 12, 05 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

if you only have a day don't waste your time seeing marginal buildings and interior design like. go to the top of a skyscraper and just look at manhattan, that's best one day shoot activity. come down and just keep walking looking at buildings until you can't. going in and out of places you see of interest to you. remember streets are east/west and avenues are north/south. beauty of new york grid is the key..

Mar 12, 05 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: