Archinect
anchor

Building codes affecting Architecture

Transparence

Do building codes affect architecture in negative ways?

Aug 4, 11 6:58 am

Yes, by limiting design options and increasing the cost of construction and administration to comply with code requirements.

The local municipality here lowered the height limit on residential structures from 36' to 32'. This resulted in gambrels, raised ranches and 2-1/2 story flat roofs and all but eliminated the design of traditional steep-pitched gable roofs indigenous to the area.

Every year or two codes for pool fencing are changed. Current requirements include 1" x 1" wire mesh fence (reduced from 1" x 2"), alarmed doors leading to the pool and a pool alarm system. Pretty soon they will require lifeguards.

The state code now requires railing to have no opening >= 4". The state legislature (driven by the insurance industry) has been considering a requirement for all new houses to have sprinkler systems.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea ...

Aug 4, 11 10:19 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

No

Aug 4, 11 10:39 am  · 
 · 

architects are good at messing up architecture all by themselves. 

Aug 4, 11 10:43 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Jump: Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking.

Aug 4, 11 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Miles - one could just as easily argue that greed (the need to get ever more square footage into a house) is what's killing off the tradition, not the code alone. 

Codes are what they are - most can be creatively dealt with, some are just plain stupid (i'll agree alarmed doors going to a pool is over the top). A lot of it is how you define creativity - if it means being able to do whatever you want, anywhere anytime, well of course they're 'bad'. however, switzerland (to use one example) has certain codes that are far more stringent than what we have in america, yet it doesn't seem to affect architects like zumthor, h&dm, diener, sumi, etc....

Aug 4, 11 10:50 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, codes (laws) affect everything, in many ways.

The police power is granted to state governments under the constitution's 10th amendment, allowing regulations for protection of the health, safety and welfare of the community.  These include the civil code (how we can drive, for example, or where we can smoke), building code (e.g., how we can build), zoning code (e.g., what we can build, and where) and others.

Over time, "health, safety and welfare" has expanded to include more and more, authorizing a greater level of regulation as decided by elected officials (and, by extension, the voting electorate) in particular jurisdictions: no smoking outside of a building, for example, or the changing requirements for stair design or pool barrier design.

Aug 4, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 

@jump - I'd replace "good" with "adept".

Aug 4, 11 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

I would say that zoning rules are determined by towns. You can surely use 12/12 pitch roof. In general the height is on the average height of the gable not the peak of the gabel.

Maybe the city doesn't want 10 story house. HSW is not just about physical HSW but also financial HSW. Didn't you realize that. That is the #1 reason not the physical. When people use interpretive manipulation of the zoning code, people often can cause issues to other people's property value. The impact to property is more then just a 100-ft. impact but line of site. On hill slopes, the visual site line is the property value. A building can easily cause property even 500-ft. away to lose significant value. Not just a 2-3K but easily 100K-300K.

Building Codes are altered generally on two basic reasons. 1) Stupid jackasses and 2) Product manufacturers lobbying and getting codes that will promote the use of their products.

Aug 4, 11 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

if you guys are going to pick on codes, don't pick on swimming pool regulations. that one actually saves children's lives. i think biggest and most hideous codes are built around parking requirements, impacting anything from public transportation policy planning to sprawl issues to much needed housing numbers just to start the conversation on control and impact on the built environment. we design cars in mind.. any takers to elaborate?

Aug 4, 11 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Carchitecture? You can thank Corbusier for that, and Ford. 

Aug 4, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

how about BOMA?

that's largely responsible for gems like this...

Aug 4, 11 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Think of the children!

Local municipal code where I'm at now forbids any window to be opened more than 3 inches. End result is that last 15 years of all local projects that were built sport the most oppressive windows I've ever seen in my life. Operable sliders that you can't stick your head through.

2 kids fell out of windows in the same week 15 years ago, and we get to suffer the kneejerk legislation for ever and ever. 

Aug 4, 11 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

All it takes is stupid people.

Aug 4, 11 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Here's a project by a great local architect. Note the 'operable' windows. Puke.

Aug 4, 11 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Carchitecture? You can thank Corbusier for that, and Ford

wow. excellent historical eye opener.

Aug 4, 11 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I call it, "The World is Flat Zoning."  Regulations to protect ourselves from ourselves.

Aug 5, 11 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Some would call it a nanny state, others one that is run by lawyers and insurance companies.

Aug 5, 11 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

I try to use bright yellow truncated domes in all my projects....even those where the feature is not required.

Aug 5, 11 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
randy1

i'd like to address the builder talk about "we build to code"! why don't we stress building better than code. code driven design is a project waiting for disaster OR at least a project with simple solutions. i find codes free us up to be more creative with solutions rather than a hindrance. the pool thing is "over the top", but it gives me reason to inform the client to be more creative with our solution. 

but, what gets me is the misinterpretation of the code by some officials who force clients into acceptance - while with the same breath - they state the licensed design professional has the final say. while at the same time when the construction documents released by the building department has stamps on each page releasing themselves from any oversight or omission. 

codes can be confusing to the layperson and we need to be clear to our client of what we are up against. when mixed use occupancy comes into play we are obligated to protect the publics health safety and welfare. 

but why are we forced to be our clients babysitter when they have a swimming pool? alarms are fools answer to proper parenting!!!!

Aug 7, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Many codes are attempts to correct a bad practice with band-aids of complexity and expense rather than education and enforcement of good practices, and much of this is driven by financial interests such as insurance and building product manufacturers.

Case in point: After massive hurricane damage to wood-frame structures in Florida and the Carolinas, metal strapping was required to connect various framing components. A few years later it was discovered that certain types of treated wood dissolved the straps … so now stainless steel straps are required for contact with treated woods.

A far more simple and effective solution would have been to enforce the long-standard good-building practice of lapping sheathing over structural members. When shoddy builders applied sheathing vertically over precut studs, what did they expect was going to happen when the wind blew? Where were the knowledgeable inspectors who would not have allowed this?

Incompetent officials are a scourge. I recently had to deal with a chief(!) building inspector who insisted that under NYS code three means of egress are required from a bedroom: an interior door, a window, and an exterior door.

I’d be happier under the code of Hammurabi.

Aug 7, 11 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

codes are reactionary by nature.  sometimes humans react well, sometimes not.  it seems to be a crapshoot which way we go.

i like most of the codes here (japan).  they are performance based and generally clear and simple.  sometimes its  like what you describe miles, but not so often.  we are definitely spoiled.

Aug 7, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: