Archinect
anchor

advancement w/B.S.

sanofiSYN

I'm just wondering how far up in a firm that a person w/only a B.S. Arch degree can go (not professional degree). I realize that this can vary greatly from office to office, but is it possible to become, say perhaps junior project manager w/just this degree and some experience under the belt? If so, what's a good timeframe? I'm just wondering what how much and what can be accomplished b/f going back to grad school.

Mar 8, 05 8:04 pm
blunted

It really does depend on the firm and the person. I have been working for about 7 years and went from 2 yrs. a Sr. Designer to being Project Manager for about 6 months now. Would it have been beneficial to go to grad school? Don't know that it would have made any difference.

Mar 8, 05 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Blunted -

Was that just w/ a B.S. degree or did you have a B.Arch?

Mar 8, 05 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
blunted

Just B.S Arch. I was lucky to get the chance almost immediately to start designing at my first job and was Job Captain within 2-3 months of starting.
Need someone to let you do it and people to give you the chance.

Mar 9, 05 1:08 am  · 
 · 
hutch

yeah, but then you have to go through your entire career explaining that you're "not really an architect," which doesn't bother some - but i'm beginning to find annoying after only a couple years.

Mar 9, 05 7:51 am  · 
 · 
blunted

Can't see a reason you can't be a "real architect" as long as you do your ARE and IDP if neccessary. Sure in most states that require IDP it takes a couple of years longer, but those years are "working" years as opposed to the 2 yrs(with B.S.) you would need for masters. I would probably have went for my masters, but in my situation, i just couldn't afford it.

Mar 9, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
pia555

sanofiSYN

Depends on what your goals are. Undoubtedly you can go pretty far up the chain w/o having the Barch or M arch. The pay could very well be good.
But, without a professional degree it makes tougher to advance to IDP and licensure. If you did manage to get IDP and the ARE out of the way Reciprocity becomes the next issue without the NCARB certification. Because some states still allow people without a professional degree to do an internship and take the ARE but they can't get a NCARB certification so working in other states is getting tougher. You may someday wish you took the appropriate step towards Licensure and if you don't do it now it'll only get harder to do later

Mar 9, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

be an intern for about 10 years then you can get a license

Mar 9, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

as blunted said

Mar 9, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Here's the deal: I don't plan on sticking w/architecture forever. I want to eventually get my MBA, but I know that work experience is almost a prereq for most programs. It's not that I have no interest in the field, though. Actually, I still enjoy arch, but I just don't think I could do it as a longterm career. I'm perfectly content w/leading it out now and learning as much as I can in the meantime. I do really enjoy professional practice so far and have the opportunity to see what exactly it is that my project manager does and all. I would love to do what he's doing and am just wondering whether or not it would be possible to aspire to such b/f I go for MBA, realizing that I don't have a higher degree. So, that's that. Thanks for the responses.

Mar 10, 05 12:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: