Archinect
anchor

Q : job hunting tactics

cSquared

Ok, so:
I graduated with a Barch recently and Im out there looking for my first job. I have a list of top places in my area that I woud like to work for. However, Im wondering if I should contact them now with my portfolio, etc. and establish a relationship or if I should gain some exp. elsewhere before I contact these tip picks. I wouldn't want to make a bad impression because I havent had practice and ruin future chances. Any thoughts?

Also, another Q. I made 10 copies of a small portfolio that were a bit pricey to produce. Would it be in bad form to ask for them back after a firm has reviewed it and expressed no interest?

Thanks for your thoughts.........cheers

Mar 8, 05 7:30 pm
duke19_98

I'd suggest wetting you feet with a couple interviews before you meet with your top picks.

Define pricey. I made about 30 mini portfolios that cost me about 3 bucks a piece. They also took me about 30-40 mins per portfolio to cut out and piece together. That being said, I wouldn't think of asking for them back. I'm down to about 3 that I'm saving just incase.

Being that you only have 10, I would send them only after firms request a work sample. However, I received a lot of positive feed back by sending them with my initial resume.

Mar 8, 05 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I would say go for the top firms.. well, let me qualify that. Are you looking to go to other firms for interview or work experience? If you want interview experience, it might be a good idea to try out other firms.. Although in my experience, architecture firms are pretty easy interviews. I've rarely had the stereotypical interview questions, "what is your greatest weakness/strength?" Most interviews (in my experience) have been asking about your work (portfolio) asking you to talk about it, what you can add to the firm, and what role you'd like to play.. that kind of stuff, and then they'll talk about themselves for a while.

If you are looking for work experience elsewhere, I would say try to get a job at your ideal firm. They'll know you don't have any experience after they interview you and if/when they hire you, they shouldn't hold that against you. If they do, they're probably a crappy firm to work for anyway.

As far as the portfolio, I might try to send them a brief 1 or 2 page document showing a taste of your work along with your resume, and take your actual portfolio to the interview. If they'd like to hold on to the portfolio after the interview, tell them you'd don't mind leaving it with them to review, but you would like to have it back, as you have a limited number. If you don't get the job, call them up and ask for it back. I don't think you'd have any problem getting it back, most firms have plenty of misc. stuff lying around, they don't need your portfolio.
If they aren't interested, they're just going to file it away, or throw it away, most likely.

Mar 8, 05 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i just had one portfolio to take with me to interviews. then i had a few pages, teasers, printed out to stick in with resumes and cover letters. this worked and while it took me 3 months to design the portfolio, it only took me an afternoon to print and assemle. didn't cost more than a few bucks either. i got good responses and when I called on a firm they knew who i was at least and wanted to talk to me. i believe it was because of these teaser sheets.
and i think its ok to ask for your portfolio back if you do mail them out or something. that's what administrative assistants are for.

Mar 8, 05 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
cSquared

Thanks for the thoughts. Sounds smart to practice interviews with B-list firms before going for the toppers.
My little portfolios cost about 15.oo a pop, so thats why I dont want them to go to waste....!

Mar 8, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: