Archinect
anchor

reactions on Archibald, the architecture comic-strip

maaik

I am the author of Archibald, the architecture comic-strip that is published daily on the news section of Archinect. I'd like to know from the readers what they think of the strip.Thanks.
Maaik

Mar 8, 05 8:45 am
abracadabra

it is, hmm.., hit and miss. i think some real life archinect posts would give you a lot of material to draw on.
it would be more (in my opinion as a reader) fun if the strips had some kind of continiuty, like a real project archibald is doing.
are you doing this for architects or general public? for architects it is a bit predictable. but for general public, it would be educational about architects and who they are which could be great for the profession.
thanks for letting us comment.

Mar 8, 05 11:00 am  · 
 · 
maaik

Thanks for your honousty. The goal of the strip is to promote architecture and enhance the discussion on architecture and to bring all building partners closer together, to make everyone understand eachother's position. Sometimes I draw indeed several strips on the same issue, but I think it's not always necessary. I think the strip will keep evolving as real architects.

Mar 8, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
wangsta

I like your drawing style. The expressions of your characters are very telling with a minimal amount of strokes. The compositioning of your strips are clean as well and work nicely with the characters.

Mar 8, 05 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

the characters are great...the drawing/layout is good..
i find the humor lacking sometimes

Mar 8, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
maaik

let the architects among you step forward.

Mar 8, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
maaik

Humor is very subjective. That's why I only want to draw situations that I think are funny. I suppose there's also a difference in humor appreciation between american and belgians.

Mar 8, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

i haven't seen the strip.

Mar 8, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
joed

yeah where's it at

Mar 8, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

the way I usually get to is is when I'm on the "News" page, a link to it appears on the upper righthand part of the browser

Mar 8, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
www.maaik.com
Mar 8, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I've read it a few times, and I've found the humor hit and miss for me, but like I said, I don't read it consistently. I do like the drawing style and the fact that it exists though. I might enjoy it more if I read it more.

I think more people would know about it and read it if the link were on the front page of the site, or a simple text link at the top of the discussions page, similar to the blogs.

Personally, I only go to the news page if I'm going to make a comment, and that isn't that often.

I'll try to read it more in the future. Keep it coming, maaik!

Mar 8, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

maaik--now I'm confused. I thought you were from the Netherlands, not Belgium?

I like the style--color, pen lines, characters. Do you write the strip in Dutch then translate it to English? I think some of the sentences read like Dutch to me, even though they are in English. At least, it seems funnier when I go to the Dutch version.

But...I'm not an architect, just a designer and architectural historian.

Mar 8, 05 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Its cool - in fact way cool, I typically enclose snippets to my friends in arch school. The bits with the Shigeru look alike is brilliant

but here's the thing that i find...uhhh you see:
1. glasses are wrong (too oval, should be round or rectangular - its unnerving to me strangely)
2. All his clients look simple - maybe they are??? who knows
3. what's with all the drawing boards - no computers?
4. Why is he showing signs of balding - when we know he would have shaved his head ages ago
5. He doesn't come off as arrogant enough
6. Nor egotistical enough
7. But this shit is still way funny and I can look at it for hours...no kidding

Mar 9, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
herbst

Building on jam-arch's #2:

it would be great to see Archibald have to deal with other types of clients, say developers, corporate boards, or questionable government agencies. If you chose to give him a flexible sense of ethics, as is the case with many self-absorbed architects, those situations could be damn funny (or at least poignant).

I'm thinking especially of Rem and his simultaneous criticism/ennabling of CCTV's propaganda through his design.

Mar 9, 05 11:14 am  · 
 · 
maaik

I enjoy reading the reactions. It gives me a better view on how readers look at the strip. Thanks for the suggestions. There are things that are interesting for integrating in the strip. In May the official website of Archibald will be launched. There will also be a discussion forum with a section for suggestions. Feel free to place your opinion on it. Architecture is never finished nor will the strip be.

Mar 9, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
e

good analysis jam-arch. he seems to be representing the old-garde and not the avant-garde.

Mar 9, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
maaik

To "e": Are you talking about me or the character Archibald?

Mar 9, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
French

Drawings look bit like the "bidochons" comic every once in a while. Is it a reference for you? I like it, but its odd that you only use it for the clients and not the architect.

Mar 9, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
French

Drawings look bit like the "bidochons" comic every once in a while. Is it a reference for you? I like it, but its odd that you only use it for the clients and not the architect.

Mar 9, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: