Archinect
anchor

summer intern

harry

I got in March program last year (non-major).
Now I'm trying to hook up the interview for summer intern (no experience).
whats the best way to contact the firm? email? phone call? or just go and confront them?
actually I emailed my resume to 5 firms and got only one reply which required the sample works. It said "send your works via email or mail". Which way is better do you think?

Mar 2, 05 7:13 pm
3ifs

i prefer to get resumes and samples via email... so much easier that way.

email them.

Mar 3, 05 8:49 am  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

We prefer not to get images via email - in fact we don't review them. When prospective employees call us we always ask them to mail or fax their materials. CALL the firms and ASK to whom to address your materials and what format they would prefer.

Mar 3, 05 9:32 am  · 
 · 
sahar

I feel like if you call and ask about internships it shows that you are more proactive, and you also get immediate responses (ie "No, we have no positions available " or "Yes, send in your information and schedule and appointment").

Mar 3, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

calling is definitely a must. If you only submit your resume, etc. via email or snail mail, then you're not a person to them yet, you're just a piece of paper. So you can either call and ask how they'd like you to submit your stuff, and then do so, or you can submit it via your preferred method, and then call under the pretense of making sure they got the resume and seeing whether there are any positions available. I tend towards the latter, because people tend to ask me more questions and generally seem more responsive when they both have me on the line, and already have my resume in front of them.

Mar 3, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
harry

appreciate all your answers.
I have one more question.
What kind of tasks can I expect to experience as a summer intern?
I know it depends, but wonder whether it's genereally just simple cad work.

Mar 3, 05 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Generally CAD work. We have some of our interns help with presentation layouts for the client, because they are inherently savvier at Photoshop and illustrator than some of the older people in the office.

We also try to take our interns out on site once in a while to get them out of the office.

That's a question you should be asking all the firms you apply to.

Mar 3, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: