Archinect
anchor

Bacterial and Viral Replication

b3tadine[sutures]

Since 2001 I have been interested in both as a method for researching architecture. Tangentially I have been interested in infection, burns, fractures and body deforming incidents for years as a method for creation/destruction. The problem is I can search all day long, and will continue to, but just curious if anyone has come across people, texts or whatever that reside in this area.

I have been intrigued by some of the script writing some of you have posted and would like to learn to write scripts/programs to model viral/bacterial outbreaks, and fracture creation as well as what happens to flesh when its cut, burned and scared.

Anyone with any direction or thoughts would be appreciated.

Mar 1, 05 11:15 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

ignore this duplicate...damn internet

Mar 1, 05 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

what event in 2001 triggered your interest?

Mar 1, 05 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

a project for my final studio that strangely enough i defined on september 6th - 10th and then developed based on personal things that were going on, and then the anthrax outbreak, and the fact my father worked at a local post office that had been suspected of anthrax spores...

Mar 1, 05 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I am more fascinated by cancers

Mar 1, 05 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

LEB's got a book out that has some comparisons to scar tissue etc. check it out

Mar 2, 05 10:23 am  · 
 · 
aseid

one interesting disease is psoriasis, I do not know the exacts on it but, the body's skin cells are hyperactive causing the skin to produce new cells at a higher rate in turn creating scab like regions (one type of psoriasis) there are other types but the "guttate" type is the one I am talking about

Psoriasis is highly responsive to skin trauma (cuts, burns, infection, bruises) and can form at these regions, It is a remarkable process, of course pretty sad for the people who have it but nevertheless an interesting topic.

Not sure how to code it, but, I am thinking, when we create code to be an "analog" of a natural phenomenon it is lacking in the richness of physical reality or the potentialities of the disease in particular these chance occurences that can happen throughout the life of it, also in combination with other bodily factors that can alter the life of the disease.

Can we as architects be accurate in our assumptions to understand that level of multiplication or evolution when it comes to a scale of bacteria and microbiology, maybe, should we, I dont know.

for instance the ability for it to morph into other forms or strains of itself

I dont know how close to reality you want to get it may not be a good idea to come too close but to use the research as a base and then branch off back to architecture, before you start actually trying to do scientific research on the disease instead of making architecture

Mar 2, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

i can understand that u might be fascinated by the system/logic that describes replication, regenration..or degeneration...but by the sounds of it (as the litany includes burns, fractures...etc) you are more thematically interested in disease, in meat rotting and things dying or damaged and then force it on architecture.

While it might seem 'interesting' (and that choice of interest is, as Britney would say, your prerogative)...it strikes me as being architecturally Marilyn Manson. A touch of the 'system theory' avant garde thrown in with make-me-interesting-necrophiliac fetishism. A little bit like a little child facinated with their new scab, poking at it.

Mar 2, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i agree that this may be an arbitrary jumping off point, but tell me what isn't. and i'll even admit to my fixation, but again i have to ask, who doesn't have some sort of fixation. my fixation came from when i was 10 years old and fell off my bike and had my abdomen cut open from side to side, when i was laying on the ground i looked inside, inspected the internals and actually felt the warm space and the edges of the cut. perhaps this idea is solipsistic, i am trying to render this exploration as more than just graphic redux of scabs, cuts, fractures and the like. i am not saying that its not a component, but it is not soley reduced to gorey imagery for the sake of titillating a few and drawing attention to myself. keep in mind that of course while bacteria, infection, fractures do destroy, they also create and it goes without saying all are living tissue/material and can create space or occupy space, all the while destroying the host or rebuilding the missing bone fragment. incisions, scabs and scars when it comes to the surface/skin also have relevance when considering surface tension and how they can have an effect on the skin. there is also a visual and structural difference in the tissue as it goes through its healing process. this idea also seeks out connections to the psychological pain, physical pain, narrative of the individual, also broader implications to urban decay and revitalization. it could even function as social and political commentary. the point i guess, is that i read frequently about diagramming and mapping of various factors, and then the mapping creating architecture, so why is that any more valid than this area of discussion.

it's a start, albeit a difficult one at best, especially when it comes to not having it become a strictly morbid pursuit.

i really am interested in living constructs and not the morbidly obscene.

Mar 2, 05 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when people think of my work i want one word to come to their minds:psoraisis.

Mar 2, 05 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: