Archinect
anchor

Degree/Certificate options

guiggster

What are your views on certificate or double degree options in an MArch 1st prof. degree program? Real Estate, Urban Development, Lighting, etc... Do these extra areas of focus add terms to the degree schedule? If not, does it spread the MArch student too thin, packing extra work into the 3 year program?

If an architect would like to make more money than the average architect by branching into developing or real estate, would one of these programs be necessary or useful?

Mar 1, 05 10:08 am
guiggster

you know what i mean?

Mar 2, 05 2:44 am  · 
 · 
citizen

More money, or at least the potential for it?

Definitely a master's in real estate. Only this wouldn't be done as part of an MArch, I don't think... unless there's a combo program out there I don't know about.

Mar 2, 05 3:04 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

I think MIT has a "combo" program...

Mar 2, 05 6:09 am  · 
 · 
mm

MIT does offer a Master of Real Estate Studies (MRES). A few students each year typically go for the dual MArch/MRES Degrees. Adding the Real Estate degree typically adds another semester to whatever degree you are pursuing. (i.e., a 3.5 year MArch will take 4.0 years for a dual degree in Real Estate).

The Master in City Planning and MRES is pretty common, too. And can be a very useful dual degree. Being able to move across scales is valuable.

Mar 2, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
garywg

I'm wondering if there is any MRES, MRED users in Archinet or knowing anyone is doing it/did it!

If so, which schools do you go to? How do you feel about the programs or maybe which schools would you recommend that has a good, well established programs?

Wanna get some inspirations, your reply will be great help :)

Mar 2, 05 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
dasein

Did anyone else apply to (or perhaps already finish) one of the dual programs at Penn? I applied to the M.Arch I program as well as the certificate in urban design. Any opinions on whether a certificate program is useful or really means anything to anyone?

Mar 2, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
lking

columbia has a Master of Science program in Real Estate Development (REDP). i am sure there are students who combine MArch and REDP, but i don't know anything about the program.

Mar 2, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
test999

Here are my thoughts. . . .

Look into Construction Management. This career path has worked very well for me and I think it is almost a better path into design then traditional architectural education. If you are a reg. arch. you can sign drawings which is a big plus. This additional expertise compliments the design side.

Mar 3, 05 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: