Archinect
anchor

21-25 living in new york, are you happy?

mmm3

alright, next month it'll be 2 years since i've moved up here. the first 6 months were great but since then its steadily gotten worse to where i daydream of moving. the cost of living, renting forever, paycheck to paycheck, the weather, etc. is anyone really happy (or is just me/my age group)?

Feb 24, 05 3:04 pm
anotherquestion

ive been here 5/6 years and plan to do a stint in LA. the great thing about planning to leave is that you magically begin to love the city again, and take advantage of all it has to offer.

your 20's is an awesome time to enjoy living abroad and try new cities. don't waste your time/energy disliking living here. there are way too many other fascinating and beautiful cities to live in out there!

new york tends to be easier on the older and richer. you can always come back!

Feb 24, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

at 31 new york is pretty sweet...although part of me
wishes i'd been here earlier...the money wouldn't have
worked right out of school...now at least i can go out
and have a good time without worrying if i'll be able to
eat tomorrow...

Feb 24, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
asonjay

thats depressing. my friend and i were just planning to move to ny. i think we still will have to find out for ourselves.

Feb 24, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
lking

I'm 23 (24 next week) and I enjoy the fact that I live in NYC (I think it's the idea that I love). I know that I can't truly appreciate the city right now b/c I don't have the resources (ie $$$). Every time someone visits or I go out with friends, I know it's going to be an expensive outing b/c everything is expensive here. I think I would love it more if I could afford what New York has to offer. But I've lived in many other places, and there's just no comparison to NYC.

Some people come here and never leave, others would rather just visit. I think if you're not happy, then you should explore other places while you have the time and energy.

Feb 24, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
lking

but then again, NYC isn't just expensive broadway shows and the museums. it's the fast pace and the liviness that draws me here. when i decided to move here, i knew it would be difficult to save money. i made that choice and i'm ok with it...for now.

Feb 24, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
mm

I'm 27, married. I moved back to NY a little less than two years ago after going to grad school in the Boston area. NYC is more expensive than most other cities in the US, but I find it certainly worth it. Yes, I live in a tiny apartment, but as a result, I don't spend that much time in it. Instead, I take advantage of what the city has to offer. I prefer the countless museums and galleries over a larger living room and Central Park over a back yard of my own.

Yes, NYC can be expensive. But then again, there are neighborhoods that are much cheaper... I find it really surprising that few people are willing to consider northern Manhattan or the Bronx but are willing to spend days riding the subway out to Brooklyn... It's still possible to buy a decent one-bedroom apartment in the Bronx for under $150,000.

Feb 24, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

decent one-bedroom in the bronx for $150,000 - you're a lifer! : )

Feb 24, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Can a single 24 yr old male survive on 45 k a year living in Manhattan. If not what do you need to get by. This is coming from a guy that lives in Lubbock Texas which was just recently defined as the third least expensive city in the US to live in. I'm expecting a little culture shock if I move to NY.

Feb 24, 05 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Based on the differences in cost of living, a salary of 45k in NYC is equivalent to a salary of 21.3k in Lubbock, Texas.

Feb 24, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

an emphatic : NO

Feb 24, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

bloopox: Is there a site that I can get salary comparisons like that?

Feb 24, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
plainjane

humm im 23, this is my fifth year in nyc. i must say it's been greatly adventurous and i love it.

and brian frels, if you are making 45k - seriously i think you'll be fine.

Feb 24, 05 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
lking

i agree, 45K for a 24 year old is pretty damn good in NYC

Feb 24, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

There are lots of them. I did that calculation on the "cost of living wizard" at www.salary.com

Feb 24, 05 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
darkred

25 living in NY for 1 year. I make far less than 45 k, I live in Brooklyn Heights, a very nice, close, diverse neighborhood, and I don't plan on leaving any time soon. I thought about moving to Chicago a few months ago, but, as mentioned earlier, once the thought of leaving NY entered my mind, I realized how much I loved this place. If there's any doubt in the young architect's mind on moving here or not - I say, there's no excuse good enough NOT to try it out.

Feb 24, 05 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

You just don’t have enough shoes yet. Or maybe your aren’t hanging out in the right bar.

Feb 24, 05 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

No matter where you go... there you are.

Feb 24, 05 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

I really can't give an honest answer to that question, seeing as though I haven't been living here that long, so my opinion will be coming from my first impression which as we all know are a bit unreliable. I'm finding the city a bit difficult. I came here for probably the same reasons the rest of you did: great city, fun place, always something to do, tons of arch offices, etc. I wasn't naive either and knew I would have to pay a fortune on rent. What I didn't necessarily realize was the effect that NYC has on using money elsewhere: meaning, as much as I'd like to save, in this city everytime you step out the door it's impossible not to spend money. And I'm not just talking about big things like a shopping spree at Bergdorf's or monthly facials at John Barrett, or whatever your preference may be. Maybe it's me, but I seem to spend a lot more and a lot more frequently on everyday things since I've been living here.

I also am having a hard time accepting this housing market. Obviously, I wasn't expecting Park Ave luxury, or anything close, but as an architect I'd like to be able to live in the kinds of spaces that we are being paid to create. I'd like to buy quality furniture, get some nice lighting and appliances, be able to do renovation work, however the problem always comes down to the lack of money.

Sorry, I think it's just a combination of a long day, boredom, and post-midnight crankiness that's getting to me, but anyway, there's my speel.

Feb 25, 05 12:24 am  · 
 · 
ericharch

You can survive in NYC as an architect. Note that I said "survive". I am 27 and have lived, worked and went to school here for the past 6 years now. That being said, it is a great city with all the ammenities and benefits mentioned in the posts above. The environment is inspirational to a young architect or artist and for that alone, I would recommend living here for a brief period

However, once you reach the point when you start thinking about the future, taking on greater personal responsibility, owning your place or gaining financial stability, NYC seems less appealing. You will realize that it is very difficult to save money on an architects salary and that the cost of living is simply too great. And if you do manage to save money, it is by sacrificing experiencing NYC (which gets expensive). So the question becomes: "Why am I paying all this money to live in this great city, when I can't afford to take part in its greatness?" Then you move to Seattle.

Seriously though, if you are independently wealthy, NYC is the place to be. If not, and you are just getting by from paycheck to paycheck, then NYC is a great place to visit for a few years when you are young.

Feb 26, 05 11:27 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city in the world-steve mcqueen

Feb 26, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
proto

having moved away from nyc 5 yrs ago, i miss it. the constant energy and liveliness...

i must say that while i was there I also complained about never having money to do things like get out of town for a weekend. I made $42k-$52k in the time i was there. I lived in decent parts of manhattan. So I know where most of my money went: rent. But, there was another money drain...

now that i'm living in a place with fewer opportunities to go out for drinks and dinner (and snacks on the corner or hot dogs in the park, etc.), i look at all the money i spent on food because i was constantly away from my apartment.

that food budget (and probably drinks budget too) can help you out if you think hard about actually going to the grocery; taking lunch to work; and eating more dinners in (that you cooked with actual ingredients) than out.

i tracked it on quicken for a year and it was insane! [It's a little bit like adding up the cos of a cigarette habit].

Feb 26, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
ZMYK

I'm 27, I've been here five years. The city is a money drain & saving is impossible. There are boroughs other than Manhattan to live in that are less expensive though. Having said that I'm sure I will soon be priced out of Williamsburg. All in all, it's hard to put a price on the creative energy and access to great gallerys, exhibits, lectures that the city offers. If money is a driving force in your life, it's best to move, but no American city can offer anything close to the cultural life of New York.

Feb 26, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

Is a homeless person in NYC more culturally elightened than one in Iowa simply because they are in Manhattan and have POTENTIAL access to CULTURE?

Since when does NYC have a monopoly on culture, said LA.

Feb 26, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Proto -

I absolutely agree with you and food and drinks is the x factor I was trying to get at in my prior post when discussing the city as compelling money drainer. There are so many restaurants and bars in this city that it's almost ingrained in the NYC culture to go out. My roommate is the typical New Yorker who rarely ever cooks in the apt and always eats out. It's not necessarily all a matter of choice either. For instance, it's more convenient to grab something to eat in the morning when you're heading to the office. Add two or three cups of coffee from the cafe across the street. Then there's lunch. Yes, I do brownbag it a couple of times in the week, but it's much easier to just grab something outside. And dinner: by the time I leave the office it's usually after 8. I usually hit the gym afterward since I'm not much of an early riser to go b/f work, thus am pretty hungry by then. I'd go home, but to eat, but I know seeing that couch and I'll end up not going to the gym. Yes, NYC makes eating out convenient, but like most things, too much is not a good thing.

Feb 26, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, that eating out thing will kill you [in many ways]. most nyc'ers don't have much a kitchen to cook in either. this adds to the problem. i had a friend try to tell me it was cheaper to eat out than in. ??? shit man, you can get a whole chicken for a few bucks, roast it, and it will last for several meals. roast chicken one night, chicken sandwich the next day, pull the remains off the bone for enchiladas the next.

you tend to eat bigger portions when you eat out than when you eat in. and restuarants will put more sugar and butter in the food that they cook too. mmm, butter. and we wonder why our country has such a weight problem.

Feb 26, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

NYC is out, Cheyenne WY is IN

Feb 26, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

MOMMAS

Feb 28, 05 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

not to be confused with MOMA'S
cause we all know they want 20

Feb 28, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
bzkr

when you're 21 to 25 in NY you should not be worrying about what you make, but should be taking out credit card advances to go out drinking and carousing with all the 100s of thousand 21 to 25s in NY. So stop fretting that you can't buy this seasons shade of blue at banana republic and sip martinis at some schrager/starck wand off, and get out there and find some urban action. get thee to a bar, even if it's in Williamsburg.

--grumpy old man

Mar 1, 05 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes charge it up and then charge it off. unless they change the bankrupty laws that is.

Mar 1, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
dillup.

For all the young folks in nyc, are you also dealing with much student debt? My plan was to move to new york after grad school, but this with some 60-80k student debt.... maybe an unwise decision? I definetely want to live there when i'm young but at the same time don't want to be paying off debt til I'm 60...

Mar 2, 05 10:53 am  · 
 · 
pazdon

bzkr- right on pal. as a 23 yr old with school debt, impending school debt, and an internship. i have a very nice apartment in brooklyn within walking distance from hipster haven williamsburg and minutes from nyc. it can be done. (if you replaced two $3 starbucks lattes with deli coffee everyday you could save 150 bucks a month, especially if the deli owner is a chauvenistic foreigner who thinks giving you free coffee might lead somewhere).

new york, like america, will try to convince you that you need things. don't let the tv, billboards and well manicured midtown types fool you. move to brooklyn where beers are three bucks and develop a studied style of quirky, dishelveled glamour. in my experience, the conversation is much better.

Mar 2, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
kyll

please- think SMART!

There are dozens of ways to save money in NYC- to drink CHEAP and eat CHEAP in NYC. Rent cheap as well- in and both out of NYC- right across in Jersey- in hoboken, J.C., Weehawken-or BKlyn, or Yonkers.

Just RESEARCH- don't buy a 7$ martini when you could go to a happy hour that gives them away for 3 bucks!

On Fridays- some museums let people in for free- and almost ALL establishments honor student discounts (get a student card somewhere- figure out how on your own)

Find the sample sales and you'll easily save at least $200 on top quality clothing that actually looks good.

Get out there- talk- network-read those little handouts that those annoying people shove in your face while walking at lunchtime. Find out where. like pazdon said- don't let NYC grab you by the nads and shake your money right out of your pockets!

Mar 2, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
dillup.

love those sample sales.. absolutely the best. the problem is finding out when they happen.

Mar 2, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

RL has theirs every year at 115 Broadway-4th Flr in November usually b/tween the 16-20. 5$ shirts. 10$ jeans. 15$ jackets. unbeatable man.....

Mar 2, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

oh- and not tax on it either (!!!!)

Mar 2, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
mm

My wife works in the fashion industry, so I get all the scoops on sample sales... It's a great benefit.

Mar 3, 05 9:25 am  · 
 · 
bzkr

For the fashion obsessed...Time Out NY always posts sample sales. For business attire, the annual Barneys sale will set you up fine. If you must wear banana, wait 5 minutes and that new shade of grey Dawson slacks will be minused to about 90% of its retail offering. However, there are kabillions of would-be up and coming designers with little boutiques here and there in out of way places. These are the true gem, worth seeking out because they are always in fun neighborhoods. As achitects, you are supposed to be interesting and hopefully, somewhat alternative to the norm. Image is everything in New York and if you want to lure commisions from peoples with monies than they have to be confident that you are offering a new perspective on their living systems. And if all else fails, make your own clothes. We are supposed to be designers too you know.

Mar 3, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

Don't forget that new york is one of the few places in america where you can live comfortably without a car. While density decreases the supply of space and increases rents, it also increases the chances that some government got it together to build a substantial, reliable subway system freeing you from the financial burden of buying, fueling, repairing, insuring (and if you have a sense of style, perhaps accessorizing) a car.

Mar 3, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

mmm3 perhaps you should post your feelings about the city once spring weather kicks in. I always get down and slow during this time of year, but when weather starts getting better and warmer you can tell the city feels different overall.
PS: I recomend picking up a sport such as skiing or snowboarding...it really helps since you can escape the bad weather for a while and do something with it.

Mar 3, 05 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

IMO, NYC is an awesome place to visit (especially when you have connections and stay for free). I go there every few years to be a tourist and hang out. Same with other places from North Dakota to Tijuana. I like to live in a cheaper place and be able to be a tourist. I had really really wanted to move to NYC. Now I guess I'm glad I didn't, I hear tough things from friends there in this age group. They do have fun, but it just wouldn't be the same to live there as to visit.

Mar 3, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: