Archinect
anchor

Client refusing to pay

mookey

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for advice on a contentious issue.

I've got a client who, after seeing three bids come in 100k over his 450k budget.  

His rationale for not paying is that since he can't afford to build the project, the drawings are useless to him.

I offered to get another bid for him, and then if it still came in too high, I offered to 'value engineer' the project to lower the cost and hopefully get it closer to his budget.

Fortunately, I do have a signed contract with the client, and nothing in the contract says anything about guaranteeing him that the project will meet his 450K budget, or any budget for that matter.

I've never had to sue anyone, but am thinking I may not have a choice here.  The balance due from the client is 9K.  For me, it's a lot of money that I really can't afford to walk away from.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?  And if so, do you have advice on how to proceed from here?  I haven't yet responded to the client, since he emailed me that he wasn't paying, so feel like I need to choose my words carefully, and do it in writing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 23, 24 7:43 am
Non Sequitur

Lawyer time.

Services were provided.

Oct 23, 24 8:29 am  · 
5  · 
poop876

Take him to court. There is no reason why he should not be paying. I've had numerous clients such as yours using the same lame excuse. 

Typically if I'm in similar situation, I send a certified letter stating that if no payment is made within (time period) other steps will be made to collect the fee for services rendered and include the signed contract with that letter.

Oct 23, 24 8:50 am  · 
3  · 
mookey

Thanks for the advice! Since I didn't reply to the client's text, he followed up with a call to me and left a voicemail basically saying the same thing he said in his text. I guess I could call him back, but am thinking any correspondence here on out should have a paper trail. I like your idea to send him a certified letter. I'm thinking of offering to drop 1K from the fee if he pays the balance (8K) within 2 weeks, otherwise I'll "take further action". Do you think I should specify what the "further action" entails or keep it vague? I don't actually know what my next move would be. I'd like to avoid a law suit if possible, so maybe I send a collections agency to his door? Or someone also suggested I put a Lien on his property. I am so glad I have a signed contract. In the past, there have been times when I went with just a handshake. Never again...

Oct 23, 24 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Also, not sure what kind of project this is and what your location is, but in some states architects have lien rights so you could put a lien on his property. 

Oct 23, 24 9:32 am  · 
2  · 
gwharton

This is a highly-effective tactic, if you are in a state which allows it.

Oct 23, 24 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mookey

Oh, right, it was you who suggested the lien! Thanks!

Oct 23, 24 9:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I don't have advice for your current situation, but having gone through that as well, in three different places in my contract I added language that says I can't design to a specific budget. I do include the "target budget" but label it as such, and have one of the disclaimers directly following. 

I still occasionally get clients who think I should be able to meet their budget. The most recent, earlier this year, is an attorney. Along with his complaint, he noted that I "cleverly absolved" myself from meeting budgets. Yup--that's why that language is there, and I discuss it at some length before we sign a contract. 

Oct 23, 24 9:42 am  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Yeah we've experienced similar fuckery, with a lawyer client no less. Dude, we have a contract. When we told him that if he didn't pay up, we'd go out of business and wouldn't be able to fulfill our part of the contract. After six months of bullshit, the cheque showed up the next day. We've fired them as clients but still have about $2M in fees rehoming

Oct 23, 24 10:06 am  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

*in fees still remaining in our contracts, so we can't just walk away

Oct 23, 24 10:07 am  · 
2  · 
mookey

Thanks, great idea to put specific language in the contract about not guaranteeing a specific budget. Hopefully, since I have no verbiage in my contract that says anything about providing estimates or a budget, that will absolve me...

Oct 23, 24 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Given that your username is mookey, I'm sure you can get cousin frankie and big jimmie to go pay him a visit and apply a little - persuasion - if you get my drift.

Oct 23, 24 12:57 pm  · 
3  · 
mookey

Haha, I wish I had relatives and friends like that!

Oct 23, 24 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Honestly, archanonymous isn't wrong. You'll probably spend more to get the 9k unless it's a very open and shut case in small claims court (sounds like it could be)

Oct 23, 24 2:07 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Is this the cash paying dude? 

Oct 23, 24 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Has to be... I think some of us deserve a "we tried to warn you..."

Oct 23, 24 5:37 pm  · 
1  · 
mookey

Nope. I took the advice on that one!

Oct 23, 24 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
BluecornGroup

Architects really fail as businessmen or women (for the most part) like many of my professional artist friends - as an A/E service business you shouldn't shadow finance other parties - this needs to be structured as a pay-as-you-go (30 day disbursement schedule) agreement with a final payment before you release the final sealed CD set - just finished a commercial garage where the owners had no problem with a two page contract without all the AIA or other standard form legalese - I require a 50% retainer which protects me - I have the owners sign contracts with the consulting engineers and surveyor who will not release their sheets until final payment is made - I have never had an owner not pay me or a consulting engineer to date - financially protect yourself and your firm - many times a court judgement is worth the paper its written on and you must pay your lawyer's fee  ...       

Oct 23, 24 4:33 pm  · 
1  · 
mookey

Thanks. Good advice going forward.

Oct 23, 24 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
pj_heavy

payment dispute has

Oct 23, 24 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: