Archinect
anchor

Review Custom Home Plan

jasonborn981

This will be a multi generational living situation. The parents will be on the main floor, and will need wheel chair accessibility.

Basement is where the other 2 family members will be.

The goals where to have a luxurious bathroom and nice kitchens and plenty of room on main floor for wheel chair accessibility.

Thoughts on this custom build plan? 

Looking at these plans what would you change or what ideas come to mind? We are trying to be mindful of the cost.

Also we have a mirrored setup due to the costs as they said it would be less expensive for a mirrored type setup.

Thank you!

Oct 18, 24 2:07 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Thank you for sharing the details of your multi-generational living plan. It’s clear that accessibility and cost-efficiency are important priorities for this custom build, and I appreciate the careful thought given to creating a space that meets those needs. Here are a few considerations based on the information provided:

1. Wheelchair Accessibility: Ensuring smooth mobility for the main floor residents is essential. It’s important to confirm that doorways, hallways, and turning radii in rooms (especially the kitchen and bathroom) are wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair comfortably. Consider features like pocket doors, zero-threshold showers, and accessible sinks to further ease mobility. Additionally, lower kitchen counters and pull-out shelving might be beneficial.

2. Basement Setup: Depending on who will be using the basement, it’s worth considering natural lighting and ventilation to ensure it’s a pleasant and inviting space. If there are any future mobility concerns, adding rough-ins for a potential stair lift or elevator might be something to plan for early on, even if not installed immediately.

3. Bathroom: For the luxurious bathroom, you may want to focus on functional luxury—incorporating high-quality finishes that also serve practical purposes, such as slip-resistant tiles, lever handles, and thermostatic shower controls. Heated floors could also provide added comfort without dramatically increasing costs.

4. Mirrored Layout: Opting for a mirrored setup is indeed a good way to reduce costs by simplifying design and reducing construction complexity. However, you’ll want to carefully evaluate whether mirrored spaces function optimally for both generations. For example, kitchens or living areas on opposite sides of the structure might lead to inefficient flow, depending on your family’s dynamics. If both levels have mirrored bathrooms or kitchens, ensure they are still tailored to the specific users’ needs and accessibility concerns.

5. Future-proofing: In a multi-generational home, consider future adaptability. While this might add slightly to upfront costs, having features like adaptable cabinetry, modular walls, or additional electrical wiring for future use (e.g., medical equipment or home automation systems) can save on renovation costs later.

In terms of balancing your goals with the budget, it seems like you’re on the right track with the mirrored layout to reduce expenses. To further manage costs, you might explore cost-effective yet durable materials for high-traffic areas and consult with your contractor about where minor design adjustments could lead to savings without sacrificing functionality or aesthetics.

Would you like any further suggestions on specific areas like material choices, space planning, or energy efficiency?

Oct 18, 24 3:15 pm  · 
4  · 
graphemic

You are a menace hahaha

Oct 18, 24 4:25 pm  · 
4  · 
chris-chitect

I asked ChatGPT to make it sarcastic...Oh wow, thank you so much for sharing the intricacies of your multi-generational living plan! It’s just so enlightening to see how much thought has gone into making this space “accessible” and “cost-efficient.” I mean, who knew those were even things to consider, right? Here are a few totally groundbreaking suggestions based on your very thorough details: Wheelchair Accessibility: Because, you know, mobility is super overrated! Just make sure those doorways and hallways are wide enough for a wheelchair. Wouldn’t want anyone getting stuck! Pocket doors and zero-threshold showers? Genius! And I suppose lower kitchen counters are just a wild idea that came out of nowhere! Basement Setup: Ah, the basement—everyone’s favorite cheerful gathering spot. Just a thought: maybe add some natural light? And ventilation too? Because who doesn’t love a damp, dark cave? Oh, and rough-ins for a stair lift? Just in case you decide that an elevator would be a fun addition later on! Bathroom: For that “luxurious” bathroom, why not throw in some functional luxury? Slip-resistant tiles? Wow, how innovative! And thermostatic shower controls? What a unique touch! Heated floors for comfort without breaking the bank? I mean, what a novel idea! Mirrored Layout: A mirrored setup—what a brilliant way to cut costs! But really, have you thought about how that might affect flow? Kitchens and living areas on opposite sides? Pure genius! Just make sure those mirrored spaces are still useful for everyone. It’s all about the efficiency, right? Future-proofing: Future adaptability? What an original concept! Sure, it might add a little to the upfront costs, but hey, who needs to save on renovations later? Features like adaptable cabinetry and extra wiring sound like such a crazy idea! Balancing your incredible goals with the budget seems like you’re already nailing it with the mirrored layout! And maybe consider some cost-effective materials that can withstand all that intense foot traffic? Just a thought! So, would you like any more groundbreaking advice on things like material choices or energy efficiency? Because I’m just bursting with ideas!

Oct 18, 24 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
chris-chitect

I always enjoy looking at posted floor plans and seeing what people propose. But for me it's just entertainment. 

I'm curious as to how custom this design is. Is this a design you've paid for and have doubts?

If wheel chair accessibility is key, then I would really be using a professional (you should be in any case). Without knowing the mobility requirements merely having "plenty of room", probably isn't enough. 

I also really suggest floor plans with furniture. I am often surprised how far designs get without someone thinking that through.

Oct 18, 24 3:18 pm  · 
6  · 
jcarch

We're putting walk-in closet doors in bathrooms now?  One person needs to get dressed for work, the other has just sat down on the toilet.  Fun times.

Stack a closet on both floors above each other and make them the right size to put in a future residential elevator, and frame the floor so that you can just demo the floor in the closet w/out re-working the surrounding floor framing.

Lower floor kitchen and living will be like a cave w/ that large deck above their windows.  Move the deck to the back left side of the house to fix

Oct 18, 24 4:29 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

going a bit further, putting the washer / dryer in the master bathroom of a wheelchair user in multi-generational family is stupid.

Oct 18, 24 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
jasonborn981

I am working with a builder currently and they had come up with this design taken into account my considerations for accessibility and are making sure there is room to turn around in a wheel chair on the main floor.

Oct 18, 24 4:33 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

And why do you feel entitled to free design services? Maybe if you weren’t such a cheap ass, you would spend some coin on professional design services. That way you get something of quality instead of this.

Oct 18, 24 5:17 pm  · 
1  ·  1
BluecornGroup

you're such an embarrassment to our profession - get a life ...

Oct 18, 24 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I do have one and it involves designing buildings.

Oct 18, 24 9:28 pm  · 
1  ·  1
pj_heavy

Dims to centre of doors /windows ? hmm ..id how it’s done in The US?

Oct 18, 24 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
BluecornGroup

this varies by architect or designer - because the rough opening varies by manufacturer this allows for flexibility - on my plans very specific dimensions and installation instruction are contained in the Door & Window Schedule which works very well in BIM programs - where are you located my friend? ...

Oct 19, 24 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Along with my comment about no furniture on the drawings, there should be the turning radii shown on the drawing.

Without knowing the needs of the wheelchair user, does the builder have this sort of experience? Perhaps the design is adequate, but that's not my gut feeling. Considering the walk in closet floor is cantilevered over the garage slab, you'll have a step down from the main floor into that garage. How does the wheelchair user get around that?

Again maybe the builder has experience with accessibility and they'll take care of all of this, and maybe it's fine for the needs, but I'd engage someone that really has experience in this. 

If this house is to support aging in place, I think you need to make the up front investment in proper and thorough design fees.

Oct 18, 24 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

OP - the biggest simple improvement would be to take out the deck. it just ruins the lower level for those family members.

Oct 18, 24 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
BluecornGroup

I do much work for Owner-Builders that are their own general contractor and pull the permit under their name - your plans are scanned and scaled into AutoCAD and revised per your space planning and accessibility requirements - I have built whole homes out of Home Depot where they will design your kitchen, bathrooms, powder rooms, and utility room - they represent about five lines of cabinets one of whom is always having a 30-40% off sale - they can provide photo-realistic renderings with lighting patterns - email me at [email protected] and we can discuss your project - jtk ...   

Oct 18, 24 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Thoughts on this custom build?

Its looks to be poorly planned by someone with cursory experience designing homes. Given the generic symbols and layout of the kitchens and baths, it doesn’t seem very custom either. It has poorly sized and located windows and doors, also demonstrating a lack of custom design thinking. The front facade will be dominated by the three garage doors (compare to the two little windows and 3’ front door as the other openings on the front wall). The sides of the house have 82’ of wall with only 4’ of window in aggregate. Why even bother at that point? 

Oct 19, 24 9:27 am  · 
 · 

There is a difference between a custom designed home and a stock house plan based home that has been customized. This looks like something that is hybrid between these two but leans more towards the latter than a full custom designed home. If you are talking true custom designed homes, you are talking about houses by Frank Lloyd Wright, many of John Yeon designed houses and the custom homes of the rich because CUSTOM means HOUSES FOR PEOPLE WITH WEALTH. This means someone who isn't using a house plan from a stock plans site and customized. We are talking about people with annual income of $1 Million or more or just retired and had that income and saved up, because if you don't have that, you don't have the income for a real custom home. Poorer people can not afford to build such homes. They can't even qualify to actually secure lending for such. Banks and lenders will tell them to go f--- off. Plain and simple. 

If you can have a house built from the grounds up, you need to have a half million or more a year income or saved up for a couple decades on an annual income of $250K+ during those two decades (stashing away $50,000 a year average) and have saved a million dollars or something like that. Financial lenders just won't lend to people where the annual loan payment or mortgage payment would equal more than 20% of their annual income. 

Here's the thing, buttheads that can afford that tends to be the most cheapskate pieces of shit people around considering they get that money by screwing other people over in some way so they can be earning more than their fair share of income because if everyone was paid fairly and their wasn't people being greedy, everyone's income would be around $200K to $400K. This means executives weren't pocketing the majority of the wealth yet do less than 20 hours of actual work and most of the time f---ing off playing golf or something while the real workers work 40-80 hours a week and be lucky to get $75,000 a year. Most hardworking Americans only gets $50K-$65K a year. 

When some douchebag comes here asking questions that they would otherwise have to pay to get answers for because they are PROFESSIONAL SERVICES being rendered from which we become PROFESSIONALLY LIABLE the moment we provide those service regardless if there is a contract or not. This asshole doesn't want to pay for actual professional services fees which costs maybe $75,000 out of this $850K to $1M project (House cost plus site work and related cost plus property site acquisition). This is assuming modest finishes and such. If this was something which involved more higher end finishes and such, this could double or triple in cost. But lets assume a little modest finish. Basically, typical for a builder designed and built home of similar level of quality as a spec house. Somehow this twat couldn't even fork out $75,000 for an actual design professional that would be answering those kinds of questions. That is part of what you *PAY FOR* in PROFESSIONAL DESIGN SERVICES fees. 

Then comes some dork that solicits himself like a whore-slut on a forum that is for professionals to discuss matters of the profession not to actively pursue every random jackass that asks questions in hopes for obtaining fees. We aren't fucking used cars sales man or FREE PROSTITUTES (which by the way is actually a paradoxical statement / oxymoron)... Bluecorn. 

The point is don't answer those questions and remind them to consult a design professional and let them then search for professionals and make contact not to do so by directly soliciting. I've been told on this forum and such that doing so in unprofessional and sleazy. The means for them to contact me is in my profile. 

Your profile on the forum is your digital "business card" that should have the information like your website, email, and such information to be able to contact you. No need to make solicited advertisements IN the post that basically screams.... "HIRE ME!" or "USE ME LIKE A WHORE-SLUT". This isn't the place to do prostitution !!!!

Oct 19, 24 10:58 am  · 
 · 
BluecornGroup

Dick - are you drinking again? ...

Oct 19, 24 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: