Archinect
anchor

Stargazing and Architecture

aleeshbahsarhandi

Hey there, 

I'm here to ask fellow people for insights on my thesis topic, stargazing. The process started by searching the history of stargazing and how it became a tourism industry. Right now my project doesn't involve a building, it's a campsite with group and individual stargazing experiences. My advisor is somehow happy with the idea but also questioned that my project lacks architecture. I feel like at this point I'm forcing architecture into the design, it was all the initial idea to enhance the experience. I'm adding a few pauses and reflection spaces but it is still not enough I feel like. I've decided to add a temporary stay but I wonder how it justifies my topic of stargazing as it's not directly linked to it. any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you. 

Oct 11, 24 6:28 pm
natematt

If your architectural thesis project isn’t suited for architecture… maybe change your topic.

Without context I have a hard time really understanding what you’re doing with your project, but it strikes me as odd that you can’t really figure out how to architecture (verb) that.

I would presume you could draw a very clear relationship between stargazing and astronomy and pull from all of history and the future for inspiration on design. Basically, all ancient civilizations had structures that were related to the stars. The last 500 years of astronomy has whole typologies of buildings related to the stars. And if we imagine the near and distant future, it would be quite easy to come up with something.

Design viewing platforms, planetariums, observatories, bubble buildings, skylights, cabins in the woods. Make a monument to the stars, cryptic monoliths with no clear meaning except one day of the year. Make it an urban planning project where you’ve invented a new zoning code that limits light pollution, building heights and pollution. Make a skyhook space elevator that brings you outside the atmosphere. Design something kinetic, futuristic, ancient, historic.

Really though, you don’t need to stray that far from what you’re doing in my mind… two options I mention above… inflatable structures and cabins, both allow you to do camp type projects that is interesting and architectural while also giving you an ability to emphasize stargazing from your bed… Seems like a soft turn fix to me.

Be creative.  

Oct 11, 24 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Stargazing

Oct 11, 24 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: