Archinect
anchor

Second bachelors degree so i can study in Europe ?

AnswerSeeker

Hello everyone,

I just turned 34 and went back to school last year to finish a bachelors degree (In the U.S.) that I started over a decade ago. I am about to start my last semester which will earn me a BA in Liberal Arts (GPA around 3.7-3.9 depending on how I finish the semester).  :/ 

I have resolved to pursue an architecture degree (something I have wanted to do since I was a teenager but always talked myself out of pursuing). I have been carrying out ample amounts of research into the ins and outs of the process of application and which schools would be right for me. I have been looking at masters programs and the ones that look most attractive to me are all in Europe where masters students must hold a BArch (not I). 

My current dilemma is;  

A.I am mostly interested in doing my masters in Europe, the work coming out of the European schools and the overall work of European firms (both past and contemporary) is much more to my liking than what I've seen from American programs.

B.The few American grad schools that DO appeal to me in the US would be challenging for me to get into because my current portfolio is not strong enough. Although I understand that portfolios submitted for 3 year programs are judged on overall visual art skills and sensibilities. I'm working on my portfolio right now which includes drawings, paintings, and scientific glass apparatus (think glassblowing/ chemistry sets) that I fabricated when that was a field I pursued when I was younger.

C. I will already have to take a few courses to fulfill prerequisites for the US grad schools I'm looking at (i.e. physics, pre-calculus) which will keep me in school at-least an extra semester after I earn my current bachelors degree and graduate in January. 

D. If I get rejected by my target and “reach” schools in the upcoming graduate application cycle (starting next month), then I will reapply next year and work on my portfolio in the interim as well as find classes through my current school 3D modelling (Rhino) as a non degree seeking student as I will have already finishing my bachelors degree by then.

Because of my age (34) I worry about timing but what is most important to me right now is studying at a school that I am actually attracted to (European) and that will give me the strongest foundation with which to enter a masters program with.

So finally idea that I'm starting to come around to is, because of all the schools I have looked at, USI Mendrisio seems like the best fit for me and I would much prefer it to any of the “reach” US graduate programs I will be applying to, do you think it would be at all advisable to apply to Mendrisio as an undergraduate (which would essentially earn me my second bachelors degrees)?

Again, age is a big concern for me because I fear the alienation of being 34-35 in an undergraduate program surrounded by younger people but I’m wondering if this is a route that others on this forum have taken (i.e.non arch bachelor holders entering bachelors program in their 30s in Europe in order to study in Europe and be better prepared/ eligible to continue onto EU arch masters program).

My thinking is that I will either 

(A) Get accepted to one of the 5 grad programs I am applying to (GSAPP, UCLA, YSOA, RISD, Princeton) in this upcoming (imminent) application cycle with a comparatively weak portfolio (compared to others I have seen although I have been advised to pay no attention to what other people do and to just show what my own unique work is) but good GPA

(B) Reapply next year with a stronger portfolio even though I would still prefer to study in Europe.

(C) Apply to USI Mendrisio, IUAV, or another European undegrad program thereby starting my second bachelors degree. Compared to the other two options, with this option, assuming I am accepted (to an EU undergrad this upcoming cycle), it seems to me that I would only really be losing a year if I plan to pursue my second bachelors and then a MARCH II (3 undergrad+2 grad). Additionally programs in Europe seem to be more affordable than the US schools  I am looking at. Finally, I don't mind taking a loss on the year or so I spent finishing my first bachelors as it was very cheap (CUNY) and taught me how to learn again and actually enjoy school.

If you've made it to the end of this rambling post, I greatly appreciate you and would even more so if you could  impart some wisdom and perspective on my situation.

Aug 22, 24 5:45 pm
graphemic

Seems like you have a good handle on the logistics. I think the determining factor should be which hemisphere you want to live/work in for the first decade of your career. If you're attracted to Europe and have the means to pursue a life there, that's what I'd do! 

Aug 22, 24 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Following. My wife and I are currently planning to move to France in ten years or so; I'll be 60 but want to finally get the architecture degree I never got here in the US. 

Aug 23, 24 8:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: