Archinect
anchor

Architects w/experience in medical facilities

aewing21

I am currently a grad student in a Design Management program and am working on a project about the design of medical facilities. I was wondering if there are any seasoned architects that might be able to do an informal interview or possibly connect me with someone who would?

Aug 16, 24 5:00 pm
G4tor

What are you gonna give me for my time? 

Aug 19, 24 3:07 pm  · 
1  · 
aewing21

Unfortunately, don't have any funding for my research as this is all for my thesis regarding my masters degree. I can just offer you credits and attribution in my work. Maybe a small token of appreciation out of my own pocket, but nothing too substantial. I wish I had more to offer.

Aug 21, 24 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Is this for a school project?  

Medical design and construction is a large field.  What will you be asking about?  

Aug 19, 24 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
aewing21

Yes, this is research for my thesis in pursuit of my Master's in Design Management at SCAD. The topic is: How can the practice of design management improve mobility-related accessibility of medical facilities? So I really need to find out as much as I can about the design process.

Aug 21, 24 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Genuine question: what books have you read so far?

Aug 21, 24 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

What do you mean by design management? Is this the design process or just design in general?

This is topic is still very wide reaching.  

Aug 21, 24 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

I improve mobility-related accessibility by disregarding civil's terrible ramp layouts lol.

Aug 22, 24 10:09 am  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

One thing I might suggest is to try and meet someone in person. You'll kill two birds with one stone, not just getting the info you want but making an introduction to someone who could later hire you when you're done your program. 

Easiest start is to figure out the consultant team on some current medical facilities under construction in your area. Figure out who is working on the building and start making phone calls.

When I was younger I wanted to learn more about real estate development. I looked up a bunch of developers, checked out their websites, read bios, gravitated towards those that had the same background/education and started reaching out. I made a point of just asking for an informational interview with no real agenda. I tried to make it a bit personal asking about their own career path. I had a phone call or two and learned a bit, but managed to get one valuable in person meeting with advice and information that I still remember more than a decade later.

Also, if you meet in person, offer some sort of small token of appreciation for their time, a coffee, snack, chocolate, you get the idea.

You might get the answer you're looking for here, but a personal connection will pay off in the long term. This is something I don't think they teach the younger generation very well.

Aug 20, 24 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
aewing21

I absolutely would love to do an in person interview with someone. Unfortunately, cold calling has not been all that successful for me. All your advice is well received and very much appreciated, in particular "asking for an informational interview with no real agenda" and making it a bit personal. Truly helpful. And absolutely agree on showing appreciation. A little gratitude goes a long way. I'll definitely try to focus on more local resources as per your advice.

Aug 21, 24 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Try your alumni network as well.

Aug 21, 24 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What is Design Management? 

I have experience designing medical facilities but none of that experience is fresh. What are you looking for?

Aug 21, 24 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Design Management is those annoying PM types who a. Are not architects or designers, and b. Are not PROJECT Managers either. Many cant even open CAD files, forget revit.

Mostly architects that end up creating meetings or taking notes in said meetings. It is a make-believe degree that does not need a specific college education.

Sorry to be so harsh, OP, but you may have to  market yourself as a Designer PLUS design manager for any chances of landing a job.

Aug 22, 24 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think the OP is a "Design Manager". It's a topic in one of his/her classes.

Aug 22, 24 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

" grad student in a Design Management program"

Aug 22, 24 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks sameold. I'd like to hear it from them, to see if they can express a coherent understanding of what they are studying and why. My next question is why does a seasoned medical facility architect need an inexperienced and uneducated manager?

Aug 22, 24 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes would love to hear from the OP about design management, but Design managers sometimes end up working for the dreaded Owner's reps.

Guess Parson's is also offering this course, just see what a crock the description is:

"Bringing together design thinking, management, and applied social sciences, the graduate program in Strategic Design and Management at Parsons responds to the need for businesses and organizations to address complex 21st-century economic, environmental, and social challenges. Methods from studio practice such as ideation, ethnographic research, prototyping, and service design are used to devise approaches to business and social innovation in global contexts. You gain critical design-based skills while developing sophisticated perspectives on organizational management and strategy, financial and environmental sustainability, entrepreneurship, and ethical leadership."

Aug 22, 24 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

So a degree in Project Management?

Aug 22, 24 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: