Archinect
anchor

Advice before applying for jobs.

JArch821

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone could help offer me a bit of advice. I recently graduated with my bachelor’s degree, and before applying to jobs I need to complete putting together my portfolio. 

However, there’s a couple I really need to redo and I know this needs some time. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can still have some connection to the field during this time eg through volunteering or courses I can do, or really any way to keep learning/ have some experience before I start applying. I really want to use this time productively aside from redoing the projects.

Thank you so much.

Aug 13, 24 7:17 pm
reallynotmyname

I question the idea of spending a long period of time out of the job market for the sole purpose of making a portfolio.  Treat the portfolio production like a full-time job: 40 hours a week for the next 4 weeks.  That would put you out in the job market in September, which is good. 

You can, of course continue to tweak and improve the portfolio after that.  My point is: don't spend the next 6 months or more crafting what you think is a perfect portfolio.

Aug 13, 24 7:55 pm  · 
2  · 
CrazyHouseCat

Oh boy, this could be such an interesting experiment.  If I were your interviewer or the one reading your CV / your story, I would love to find out how you went about "redesigning" your portfolio projects.

• How did you managed your time / scheduled the duration. 
  • how did you self-critiqued 
  • how did you decide / prioritized what you'd change without "throwing out the baby with the bath water
  • What new skills you learned in order to make your portfolio better.

This process could be very informative of what kind of candidate you are.  And if you documented a thoughtful process, it could be far more valuable than say a LEED certificate.  Recommend you focus your energy on this revision.  Challenge yourself.  Good luck!

Aug 15, 24 6:31 pm  · 
1  · 

Send out the portfolio and CV you have now. The job market is pretty tough, especially for people without experience. It may take you a few months to get a job. Start now.

Don't wait to have the perfect portfolio. Just like your projects, it will NEVER be perfect. You can always make it better. Part of your interview can be to discuss improvements you would make.

You can work on your portfolio in between job applications and networking, but I wouldn't wait to apply for jobs.

Good luck!

Aug 16, 24 5:31 pm  · 
4  · 
bennyc

Stop overthinking your portfolio and start gaining experience in the field. Your portfolio means nothing to me compared to your ability to start a project, learn zoning and code and have just general architect thinking about space, building and how things are put together. 

Aug 17, 24 7:13 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

My portfolio is very pedestrian. Projects and facts presented in a basic layout. Been employed since 2007. It gets you the interview, not the job. 

Aug 17, 24 12:22 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: