Archinect
anchor

Fees for owner's rep work?

greenlander1

For those of you who have hopped over what do you charge?  Or have seen charged by owners reps?  

This is for management of entitlements, CUPs (if applicable), permits, etc in addition to construction.

Aug 13, 24 3:06 pm
greenlander1

BTW I hear a really wide range of numbers so curious what ppl are charging these days.

Its quite the gamut, depending on project size, type of project, and level of client sophistication.

Ive seen a few % of total project cost and hourly rates anywhere from $100-350/ hr depending on title.  sometimes lump sums.

Also have seen some crazy numbers like $30k monthly for v little work for a public entity that had no idea what it was doing, wasnt even competitvely bid, there were in a panic to have someone manage a few jobs.  They soon changed their minds and realized they were overpaying.

Aug 15, 24 8:54 pm  · 
1  · 

I would check with your insurance provider and see how your premium gets affected by taking on Owner's Rep work. Then, you can adjust your hourly rates to account for the difference. Hint: make them higher even if your insurance doesn't change.

I would also stick to hourly rates, especially since it sounds like you haven't done this before. You don't know how to scope the project.

Just like anything, the rates you can charge depend in the scope of work expected, the competition or demand in your area, the location you are working, the experience level of the person, and the type of client. It is hard for someone in the forum to give you a suggestion. That said, the hourly rates you list look reasonable.

Aug 16, 24 5:41 pm  · 
2  · 
greenlander1

Good point about the insurance.  

Ive been doing this for years, just have worked with a few long time clients so for the first time in a while Im evaluating my pricing as I might have to cull some of the work off.  Or make a hire which I'm on the fence on.

Some jobs I will do a flat fee if its a v specified chunk of work, sometimes % of project cost, often I just do monthly retainer.

Just curious what ppl are charging these days.

Aug 16, 24 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

Would you be able share your general area? I know this is personal info, however it could help obtain reliable hourly rates.

Aug 19, 24 10:29 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Los Angeles. avg project size btw $1MM- $15MM but the bigger ones that are $10MM+ I am only managing 1-2 max at any given time.

Aug 19, 24 2:33 pm  · 
2  · 

I’ve heard 1% of construction cost. But that’s not what I charge. 

Aug 20, 24 10:45 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: