Archinect
anchor

Informational Interview Request

corbto

Hi!

I'm a graduate student coming into my last year of study. I'm in New York for a month and I was interested in setting up informational interviews with a couple of firms I admire/that I would be interested in working for post-grad. While I have reviewed a couple of previous forums regarding informational interviews, I was curious about the etiquette around requesting one. I'm confident in my email draft, but my question is ... should I attach my portfolio and/or resume in the initial email? I have done informational interviews before but they came more naturally that this wasn't necessary. Will firms use the portfolio/resume to consider whether it is worth their time to host me? Or should I avoid the added materials and work to draft a longer email about why I admire their company and would like to converse with them? I don't want to attach the materials if it seems 'too forward' or something. But of course, this is standard then I will do so. 

Any insight either way? 

Thanks in advance!

Corbto

Aug 7, 24 1:56 pm
corbto

Aug 7, 24 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

soooo... you want to waste the time of the HR and hiring managers just so that you get an idea if the firms are worth it for you?  No one has the time for this but you may have some luck just walking in and speaking with reception.  Maybe someone will give you a 5min walk through.

Aug 7, 24 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Eh, informational interviews are usually recommended by university career counsellors these days (https://students.ubc.ca/career/career-resources/informational-interviews).

Comment's spot on for whether anyone in an arch. office has time to actually do one though...

Aug 7, 24 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Just because there recommended doesn't mean firms won't view them as a time suck.  

If you do a II's, make sure to be succinct.  It may be a good idea to contact team members at the firms via email or LinkedIn  and ask them your II questions.  Just an idea.

Aug 7, 24 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

If you're going to propose doing some kind of "informational interview" as a student, you need to pitch it as part of some kind of student work you are doing, related to some specific topic you want to learn from them. If you're just doing it to get face time as a quasi-job-interview when there is no position you are applying for, the door will be slammed in your face (justifiably).

On the other hand, as a student, you do have the opportunity to approach firms in order to have a conversation for learning from them. But you have to tell them specifically what you want to learn if you want them to say yes.

Aug 7, 24 2:31 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: