Archinect
anchor

M.Arch: Independent Thesis vs. Research Studio

psychoconstruct

Hello all,

I am interested in the independent thesis vs. research studio structure that M.Arch programs employ for students in their final year. For example, Berkeley opts for the independent thesis, UCLA for the research studio, and UW offers either for students to choose from!

Is there an advantage of one structure over the other with respect to learning how to conduct design-based research? With respect to preparing to work in the industry (as a licensure candidate)? What are the schools’ rationales for choosing one over the other (or both)? 

These are questions I’m asking of these schools in particular because I am interested in their programs, but I figured it can’t hurt to think aloud here while waiting for their replies. I would be happy to hear your opinions/experiences from any program, and I am also happy to follow up with their responses if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Jul 15, 24 12:12 pm

Ask the schools you mentioned to explain why they chose a particular structure. 

Jul 15, 24 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 
psychoconstruct

omg

Jul 15, 24 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Why are you shocked to hear this?

Jul 15, 24 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: