Archinect
anchor

Best online MArch program?

lklepczyk

Hello- I am a potential student with no architecture background and have to continue working part-time while in school (I understand this is not ideal as in-person conveys a different experience).  It appears there are 6 online MArch programs that are NAAB acceredited: Academy of Art University, Arizona State University, Boston Architectural College, Lawrence Technological University, Southern Illinois Univerisity, and Rochester Institute of Technology.  Which of these has the best reputation/chance of job after graduation?  

Jul 13, 24 7:52 pm
Levine

NYU

Jul 13, 24 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
lklepczyk

They don't have an accredited online option to my knowlege?

Jul 14, 24 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Reputations is worth very little. Take the cheapest accredited option. 

The real question is why architecture when you have not background?

Jul 13, 24 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
lklepczyk

I appreciate the response, but I find that a bit judemental? Why not? I am just interested in pursuing something more out of passion at this stage in my life than money. I am currently a physician and make much, much more than would in architecture. But I also want to be fulfilled and not sure I am anymore with what I do.

Jul 14, 24 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No my prob

Jul 14, 24 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not my problem if you want to waste your cash, but my question was a serious one. There is a big difference between the popular romanticized view of architecture and the realities of the profession. I guess there are worse ways to waste money tho. You could buy a boat instead.

Jul 14, 24 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
lklepczyk

Not everything in life is based on money.  I plan to keep working in my field at least part time- which allows me to delve into other interests such as architecture.  Thus, I can still buy a boat with my 2 day/week salary which is more than a full-time architecture salary.  Maybe I change careers, maybe I don't.  Nothing wrong with trying to expand ones knowlege and grow.  I know what a challenge is and have excelled in the past.  I understand the "realities of the profession" are hard to know naive as I am, but I have dealt with the real world before coming out of medical school and residency.  It is not fair to put everyone down on this forum when you know nothing about them.

Jul 14, 24 10:59 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

perhaps you don't care, but there are others who will read this. For those people, costs is likely an issue and far too many are tricked into paying top $ for the "rep" of the school. Rep means nothing and arch school is not an investment. Pop culture has falsely convinced soo many saps that this is the only way to go but you do you.

Jul 14, 24 11:03 pm  · 
lklepczyk

I can see this point. So am I to understand you think an online MArch degree is useless?

Jul 14, 24 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, when the student has no other design background.  M.arch is a professional degree aimed at teaching the inns & outs of design and construction as well as how professional architects function.  It's not for weekend warrior types looking for a fun hobby.  

Jul 14, 24 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

I suggest taking design and drawing classes at a good community college architecture program and then doing your March online or in person. That way you can get more out of your master's degree. Not having financial problems and professional urgency gives you options for different ways of practicing architecture. "Why not" for sure. Architecture is a beautiful and engaging thing to study anyway. 
I take the position of highly encouraging you.

Jul 15, 24 12:47 am  · 
1  · 
lklepczyk

Thank you for a helpful and positive comment. Do you suggest taking some design/drawing classes to ensure first that I am committed? Issue is in person (anywhere) will still be hard for me even working part-time. I did do some of these type of classes years ago when in college and always liked. I can enroll in 2 classes at BAC for Fall 2024 that could later trasnfer to the MArch if like and want to really pursue. That was my thought- just wondering if the BAC reputation is worse than the other online MArch as I have seen various things online. ASU will not allow this. I haven't checked the other programs in initial post yet. Luckily, as other responder sort of negatively brought up, taking a few classes at BAC financially is fine for me. And now is first time in my life I have the time! Which has been the difficult part for me my entire adult life.

Jul 15, 24 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think you misunderstood. Logon is primarily trolling. That’s their main use of this site if you look at their other posts.

Jul 15, 24 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
lklepczyk

I don't know if you would be willing to respond to my actual main question, but does BAC have a horrible reputation? I have seen mixed things. And does any of the other institutions in my original post have a decent reputation if BAC's is bad?

Jul 15, 24 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Again, rep means absolutely nothing. What matters is what skills you earn and what sort of portfolio you assemble so you need to actually look at the pedagogy and faculty. Look at work examples from past students too. From what I recall, BAC is the biggest and takes in almost any applicant but I can't imagine there is much of a high bar for entry in Laurence or Arizona either. Those 3 names pop up often in the forums when folk look for the easiest M.arch.

Rep in architecture is not the same as rep in the med field.  ie. a dergee from Hopkins certainly is worth a shit-ton more than some fly-by-night unknown med school in a trump-heavy state.

Jul 15, 24 8:20 pm  · 
1  · 
logon'slogin

non seq, I am not trolling. don't be a community asshole! if there is any troll it is you!

Jul 15, 24 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

I am trying to help this person because I have had similar students. Now go back to your masturbating, you arrogant and stupid gatekeeping schmuck!

Jul 15, 24 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

they let you teach? damn... bar is low in some parts.

Jul 15, 24 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

You have no idea. Stop this uncalled ad hominem. Which part of my encouragement for the original poster do you find as trolling?

Jul 16, 24 12:50 am  · 
 · 

logon - the thing is that you've shown yourself to be a contemptuous troll. Not a very good one at that. When that it what you're known for people aren't going to take much of you have to say seriously.

Jul 16, 24 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

why are you personalizing everything i write. you guys are really low life hillybilly cowards. stop following me. your cohort hallway bully couldn't answer my question. what is it to you buggleboy poser?

Jul 16, 24 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

This is prime example of why people think you're a troll and won't take you seriously. If you want respect you have to at least not be a jerk.

No one is 'following' you.  You're not that important.  It's a small community.  People will see what you post.  If you act like a petulant child people will call you out on it. 

Jul 16, 24 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

So I am asking again, what was here that you ad hominem as trolling?

"I suggest taking design and drawing classes at a good community college architecture program and then doing your March online or in person. That way you can get more out of your master's degree. Not having financial problems and professional urgency gives you options for different ways of practicing architecture. "Why not" for sure. Architecture is a beautiful and engaging thing to study anyway. I take the position of highly encouraging you."

Jul 16, 24 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

I assume you're asking what part of your response here is considered trolling. If that is so the response alone wouldn't be considered trolling. 

Unfortunately the majority of your posts are contemptuous trolling. 

I don't think you intend to do this. It seems like you start out trying to be sincere but you can't handle people disagreeing with you and you lash out and act like a petulant child.

That makes it very difficult to respect you or anything you post. 

Jul 16, 24 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

No, I am not a good troll because I am not one. But you on the other hand know the ins and outs of being a troll. For that, I think you are a good troll. You are also judge judy know all.

Jul 16, 24 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

I'm sorry you feel this way. 

You seem to get upset when people disagree with you and throw a tantrum like a child. You get even more upset when people call you out on your behavior. Maybe you should work on that. 

If you're acting like a troll I will treat you like one. Simple. No judgement. If you post something that is insightful and respectful I will have a civilized discussion with you and treat you accordingly.

I don't know everything.  No one does.  I come here to learn from other people with different experiences and knowledge than me.  

Jul 17, 24 10:08 am  · 
1  · 
logon'slogin

Btw, Arizona State has a good online MArc program. One of my students just graduated from there and she was pleased with them.

Jul 15, 24 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

lklepczyk, don't let anybody in this forum discourage you. After the classes you have already taken as described, you might already have adequate initial skills and willpower to start an architecture program. Good luck.

Jul 16, 24 1:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

BAC. As a physician, could you look at this lump? Would you recommend an online pre-med program? I would like to be an orthopedic.

Jul 16, 24 7:05 am  · 
 · 
lklepczyk

Gosh- people on here are very judemental it seems. Even worse than doctors! I see the point, but does no one ever make a career change in their life? And to do so, there is the reality of time constrictions as most have to at least work some to survive. If money weren't an issue, sure, I could quit my current part-time job and go to school full-time. There is also the issue of being accepted somewhere where I live. I am not 18 and am married with a child on the way. Am I supposed to just move across the country for years? I would really just LOVE if anyone could help re my initial question . Not just make condescending remarks. Please, please no more comments if not to my initial question.

Jul 16, 24 9:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hey Doc. First, I answered your question, then I asked my own. Casual banter between like minded professionals. I can't do anything about your feelings however, that would be up to another kind of physician.

Jul 16, 24 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
lklepczyk

Just sticking to facts here (which I'd really really like to do), you are saying BAC is a good program or NOT a good program. I do appreciate your response.

Jul 16, 24 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's good.

Jul 17, 24 12:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

None of those programs have a great reputation.  If one is in your area it might be worth looking into as it will help to study local to where you live it want to practice. 

I didn’t read everything above but here’s my advice, If you think the members of this forum are rude, you don’t have what it takes. Architects work with a lot of grouchy contractors, developers, and engineers. The whole construction industry is comprised of people who think everyone else is an idiot. It’s not a supportive or healthy environment. You’ve been warned. 

Jul 17, 24 11:30 am  · 
2  · 
lklepczyk

OK thank you- this comment is helpful. Disappointing but helpful. I thought dealing with certain colleagues was pretty bad (some surgeons do live up to their rep, ha). I find it a bit hard to believe worse than navigating colleagues, patients, staff, administration- the latter being the worst. But who knows, maybe you are right. My sense is this is the world we live in and is probably everywhere.

Jul 18, 24 9:57 am  · 
 · 

The key to being happy in this profession is working with (not for) the right firm that will support and protect you from the 'grouchy' people. This includes clients.

Jul 18, 24 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How is this thread still going?  Waiting for that one person to chime in and say "Yes absolutely go to X online M.arch program, it will literally cure cancer"?

Cheapest accredited will always be best.

Jul 18, 24 10:19 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: