Archinect
anchor

What should I expect from Yarch program at UIC?

Adam.B

Hello all, 

I have made the decision to pursue an M.Arch, I found out about the Yarch program at UIC from this website/form. I do not have any architecture experience.  I am currently a photographer with a B.A in African America Studies from KU. 

After applying I was accepted into the program which starts this July 2024 (next month). I have a few questions; Is it worth it overall? If you've attended what was your experience ? The program is one month in Chicago is $3k enough for living expenses for the month? I am considering staying on campus and bring my car (traveling from Kansas) any thoughts on this? Any advice anyone has I would love to hear it.

My personal goal for attending this program is to become familiar with architectural software like Rino, gain studio experience and use this experience to build a portfolio for when I apply to M.arch programs this fall. 

Jun 11, 24 11:49 am
christiansernaharo

I’m also attending YArch this year too, I’m really excited to learn all about the architecture history of Chicago! Attending all the way from Mexico!

Jun 13, 24 8:05 am  · 
 · 
ar81

I did YArch and found it helpful as someone who took a few studio classes in an unrelated undergrad degree. "Worth it" is a personal choice, whether that month is better used doing something else can only be decided by you but I certainly didn't feel like it was a waste of time. You get a good introduction to Rhino and Illustrator workflows as well as the experience of a design project from start to finish, albeit on a very compressed timeline. There are some aspects of the pedagogy I wasn't a fan of and overall a very formal approach to design, but for some people that can be a good thing. I would definitely recommend the program to people making the switch to architecture grad school from a different field. You will also get a portfolio-ready project out of it which is nice. In my experience the instructors were great and all my classmates were super friendly, you can definitely have a good time too. 3k should be enough for a month in Chicago provided your rent is reasonable.

Jun 14, 24 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I personally dont know anyone who uses Rhino professionally or any firms that use that software.

Jun 14, 24 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: