Archinect
anchor

Planning on pursuing preservation architecture, but confused

vickrey

Hello,

I am early in my undergrad education at University of Illinois and majoring in architecture.  I really want to be a preservation architect, but I have been shifting interests towards archeology.  I think preservation architect is such a broad term and I specifically want to work with more ancient buildings and monuments.  I have this one professor who used to be a preservation architect (until he shifted towards academia) and he tells me that I should go to field school in the summers to work on archeological sights, which I am planning on.  

The thing that I am confused about when I do research online is that there seems to be no cross-over within the fields of archeology and architecture, which is very strange to me.  According to the internet, it looks like I am going to have to pick one or the other, but this professor of mine has done both.  I am curious if anyone else out there has a similar career.  I have also found this masters program that I am dying to do; it’s called Architecture, Landscape, and Archeology and the website is https://www.masterala.eu/programme/ 

I am still early in my education and I’m sure things will get clearer, but I like to plan ahead.  I need to figure out how to approach a career that I can do archeology and restoration architecture.  

Thank you for the advice in advance.

Apr 5, 24 5:02 pm
Non Sequitur

we call those folks conservation architects in my area and there are very few of them. So few that it can be a lucrative racket if you can set yourself as the go to person. Otherwise, there is little the typical arch degree will give you for this and you’re likely better served by art history and politics than typical arch education.   Fun tidbit: conservation arch is the consolation degree option my old undergrad school offers those who can’t get into the design degree.

Apr 5, 24 5:26 pm  · 

I'll simply add, you need your architecture degree to obtain the qualification for architectural licensing. Additionally, you may need to obtain a degree in historic preservation. Most historic preservation degrees (especially those in the masters level and many bachelor's level) are research oriented.

If you want hands on crafts training, that is rarer but would likely be found at some colleges as an associates degree level or something. There are stuff that exist. 

Besides degrees, work for preservation contractors AND historic preservation consultant firms. Build a portfolio of work. It takes something like an additional 5 years to a decade of effort than just being an architect, to be good at it. 

Apr 8, 24 5:32 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer
Non Sequitur

nothing more says conservation than ignoring progress.

Apr 5, 24 6:01 pm  · 
Volunteer

Here is another site. It references the Clemson University campus in Charleston, SC. 

https://www.clemson.edu/caac/a...

Apr 6, 24 8:31 am  · 
 · 
paulscreationids

You're on the right track by pursuing field school experiences in archaeology. Consider dual degrees or interdisciplinary programs like the Architecture, Landscape, and Archaeology master's to merge both interests. Network with professionals who bridge archaeology and architecture to gain insights and guidance. Keep exploring and honing your skills in both fields to carve out a unique career path that combines preservation architecture and archaeology.

Apr 15, 24 6:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: