Archinect
anchor

Undergrad - Considering Cornell vs Syracuse vs Columbia

phil1

"Oh jeez" - rick and morty

Never assumed to be in this position since I really had low expectations about the process, I was skeptical about being admitted to Syracuse since they rarely accept people from IB programs (guys i think he does IB) March 28th comes, I see that Columbia accepted me. After being deferred from Cornell ED, I assume "well theres no way I got into columbia, theres definetly no way the luck will pass on to Cornell." Well against all statistical caveats, I got into both and fainted in the shower before prompty rushing out with a towel, screaming into the living room where my parents were. Family friends are proud, but deliver mixed results about which to accept. I'll list the pros and cons (subjectively) for each program, and would like to know ANY opinions, experiences, advice, hardships, etc. that anyone would like to share. I also got accepted to Syracuse on a full scholarship, and since its a top 5 US Undergrad architecture program thats accredited, I'm still questioning my decision to go there.

Columbia:

Pros

- It's columbia, 3.7% acceptance rate and have been wanting to go since kindergarten.

- Obscenely amazing location, and the campus allows you to do anything in your 3 minutes of weekly free time

- After taking a summer course there, the student body seems pretty lit as an understatement. People are genuinely fun to be around, and I can see myself enjoying the experience there

- Internships in NYC are supreme, but will have to find them myself

- Better financial aid package than Cornell

Cons

- 4 year non-accredited program; I'll have to take a masters, which I plan to do anyway, but will have to work overtime in order to strengthen my portfolio to a level that can get me into a good masters program

- Liberal arts program, meaning that I'll have less architectural work and more intellectual work. Not a problem, but I will basically be taking a break from the career path which I intend to follow

- Does it help me get into GSAPP?

Cornell:

Pros

- Rated #1 program in the US for architecture

- Was my number 1 school, and still is

- Accredited, meaning I will be more propelled in the future along my career path

- Cornell arch connects you with internships

Cons

- might have to join a frat

- impossibly sweaty, and will have to work my architectural balls off in order to keep up

- Awful financial aid package, my parents are not able to spend 70K a year - side note, I plan to meet up with cornell's deans of finaid and architecture to learn more, please send advice if you have before I visit :)

- Seasonal depression because Ithaca is a very fun city and everyone has great things to say about it

Anyway, any thoughts, opinions, etc. are SINCERELY appreciated. Still in shock from these acceptances, and under pressure to balance each program. Thank you

Mar 31, 24 9:11 pm
Non Sequitur

take the cheapest accredited degree. Remember, no arch degree is worth tens of thousand of debt.  

Mar 31, 24 9:26 pm  · 
5  · 
pandahut

Cheapest accredited program 1,000%. As much as Non and I may pander at each other the guy has many good points and I will follow him into battle with this one. It is NOT worth it graduating with insane debt right now. The rubber will meet the road when you begin practicing. I have plenty of friends who went to community college for a bit, then a decent state program and know way more about architecture, design and business than kids who went to MIT or GSD. You are paying for connections.

Syracuse has a great program and you got a full ride and it is accredited. You answered your own question. (and congrats)

Mar 31, 24 10:40 pm  · 
5  · 
zonker

many of my co-workers went to Syracuse - 5 years out, the degree won't matter and you will have a lifetime of debt if you chose the IVY route - Biden aint gonna come too your rescue any time soon anyways.

Mar 31, 24 10:51 pm  · 
4  · 
reallynotmyname

Use the money saved by attending Syracuse by investing in good equipment and supplies for school and architectural travel on breaks and summers.   Build up an excellent body of work and go to an Ivy for a masters if you think an Ivy pedigree is something you need.

Apr 1, 24 11:59 am  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

70k in debt per year - 350k for the whole degree. Bankrate.com tells me that at the current interest rate, it is $2,100 per month for 30 YEARS.

This will mean that you will have no more than $1,500 left per month at least for the first 10-12 years after paying off loans.

Unless you have wealthy parents or have some other source of income, do not take on architecture school debt. It is a waste of time, especially when the value of an ivy league arch. degree is so low.

Apr 1, 24 12:55 pm  · 
5  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: