Archinect
anchor

No idea where this belongs

smaarch

Apparently I'm at the age where every time I turn around I lose someone else...
I just learned tonight that my dear friend and former partner, Frank, is terminally ill. Frank and I haven't spoken in some years - not because of any falling out or anything like that - our life's just went in different directions.
We had a lot of fun together - we rode some seriously fast motorcycles and without a doubt - Frank was far more crazy than I . I remember ripping up the Hutchison River Parkway one night. He was so fast he was riding the sloped curb on the medium thru a right hand sweeper. I could never keep up with him.
We went thru undergraduate school together and I remember staying up with him for 4 nights to get his thesis project done.
I remember our disagreements where I set the limits on the work I was willing to do.
I remember sitting in the passenger seat of his old BMW and racing to school ....and holding on for dear life. Yes a far better driver/rider than me.
Frank taught me a lot about life and I will never forget his trust in me.
I was there when his kids were born.
And I was there when Frank and I decided to use Mathew and Jamie as paint brushes...LOL...to paint the Attic. To say Toni was pissed would be a massive understatement
When I returned from Italy, we had dinner one Friday night and he asked me to stay and talk to him about a house he wanted to build.
This turned into a 3 year odyssey - we literally went out to the site the next day and drew lines on the ground. Why? Because the excavator was showing up on Monday and needed to know what to do. Every day was an invention for both of us.
I put on my work boots and we built something every day.

It's a beautiful house. Unknown to him - I submitted it to a - I don't know what to call it? - a call for submissions of new work I guess. We won an award for it and I spent several thousands of dollars on photographic prints and an exquisite display - It was exhibited in a gallery on 5th Avenue in Manhattan. - much to Frank's surprise.
He was stunned - Humble as the day is long.
And now I am stunned.
Frank I miss you and will summon the courage to stop by and see you.
That wall on the left nearly killed us. Love you Brother.

I stopped by a few years ago and I was astonished - Frank is a common guy - no intellectual - and he was splashing colors around like he was Paul Klee...... It was/is beautiful.
Losing Jose' Oubrerie was one thing - This is going to be especially hard.
Yea man I'm going to miss you.....
Sorry folks - I'll make sure my next post is positive. I have lot's of beautiful projects to post.

May be an image of 1 person and sliding door

Mar 30, 24 4:52 am
Wood Guy

That's a touching story, thank you for sharing. It's a strange part of getting older, losing those who were instrumental characters in our lives. 

Mar 30, 24 11:14 am  · 
4  · 
proto

@smaarch, keep frank’s memory close…rip frank & peace to his family & friends

Mar 30, 24 12:16 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

I would say that this is an extremely positive post. Painful to write, no doubt, but uplifting on the importance of relationships in our lives.

Mar 30, 24 2:51 pm  · 
2  · 

A lovely story and I look forward to seeing more! RIP Frank.

Mar 30, 24 3:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

thanks for sharing. I also had a recent big influence loss in my life. Someone who not only shaped me as a father but also guided my way to the career I have now. This hits close to home. 

Mar 30, 24 6:40 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: