Archinect
anchor

Need help deciding college

dwg2424

I am an international applicant, who applied to M. Arch 2-year standing (NAAB), for the 2024 cycle, mainly in the US I have completed my B. Arch (5 years) and currently working as a junior architect. These are the schools I applied to and have heard back from all the colleges, which university should I go to.

Georgia Tech - Accepted, UIUC - Accepted, UT Austin - Waitlisted, U Michigan - Accepted, Pratt - Accepted, Yale - Rejected

Mar 17, 24 4:06 am
smaarch

Go to the school that supports your research.

Mar 17, 24 4:45 am  · 
1  · 
paulscreationids

Based on your acceptances and waitlist status, choosing either Georgia Tech, UIUC, U Michigan, or Pratt would be a solid decision for your M. Arch 2-year standing (NAAB) program.

Mar 18, 24 5:44 am  · 
 · 
Zacro

U Mich > Pratt > Georgia Tech = UIUC 

Mar 18, 24 7:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Take the cheapest option.

Mar 18, 24 8:39 am  · 
1  · 
lacalr

I would think about the faculty at each school, the city where you would be living, the alumni network and where they reside, offered courses and specialty programs. There are plenty of factors that are unique to yourself and your academic interests that could help narrow down the decision. Also if any of these schools have offered you financial aid, I would heavily consider that.

Mar 18, 24 9:26 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

am I missing something, can you not get registered with your 5-year degree? if you can, why go back to school?

Mar 18, 24 11:06 am  · 
1  · 
paulscreationids

Based on your acceptance, Georgia Tech, UIUC, U Michigan, and Pratt are strong options, with Georgia Tech and U Michigan particularly renowned for architecture. Consider factors like faculty, program focus, location, and career opportunities to make your final decision

Mar 25, 24 5:37 am  · 
 · 

Keep in mind how much you'll be making after graduation and how much debt you'll have.  

Nationally the average pay for an architectural grad is $45k.  Larger metro areas (NYC, San Fran, ect)  will pay much more.  These areas the average pay are around $75k.  The cost of living is much, much higher in those areas.  

For example:  In Denver CO the average starting pay is $44k.  The average starting pay in Grand Junction CO is $40k.  The cost of living in Denver is roughly 3x higher than Grand Junction.  

Good luck!  

Mar 25, 24 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Immigrant Developer

Doesnt make sense to go back if its not IVY LEAGUE, if you have a B.ARCH. If dwg2424 is international then money isnt that important for tuition since all these schools are 65k+ tuition. I would say PRATT end up in a good design firm in nyc. 

Mar 25, 24 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

Getting a degree from PRATT or any Ivy League school won't cause you to end up in a good design firm.

Mar 25, 24 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: