Archinect
anchor

Rate my architecture portfolio

Selmae

Hello guys,

I'm currently working with my portfolio after soon to be finished 5 years of academia. 

The portfolio is still in process (all text part are missing as you can see) but the overall layout and content is done. I think publishing it here and discussing with others would be good before starting to apply for architecture jobs. 

Here's the link: [link removed by OP]

I'm glad for any feedback there is! Don't hesitate to be totally transparent with your opinions! Thanks for taking time! 

Feb 20, 24 11:15 am
Selmae

New link to portfolio: [link removed by OP]

Feb 20, 24 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No hand sketches? no design iteration/progress work?  Where is the craft? where is the idea generation process? where is the creativity?  Without this, it's just another stale assortment of generic renderings.

Feb 20, 24 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Selmae

I do agree with you there's a lack of progress and idea process. I have quite a lot material to add of that but I limit it for simplicity which is wrong. Will ad! Thanks for taking time!

Feb 20, 24 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It needs character and uniqueness. Show us how you get to those final images.

Feb 20, 24 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I would disagree on the necessity of hand sketches, I could care less if someone who graduated in 2024 has a great hand and presentable progress work in that medium. That said, show it if you got it…

However, I do very much want to see something. Diagrams, iteration, research… whatever it takes to show your idea, the reasoning, and process. You talk about things that don’t make sense without it. Exploration of mass and void? Where is this exploration at? Autonomously generated forms? What does that mean, how did you do it?  Local design influence and emphasis on views? Evidence?

The graphics are nice enough, clean, etc. I think a little too much of the linework drawing content is included considering how simplistic most of it is, even if it generally looks nice. I think your renderings are nice, but a little drab. I don’t think they are quite enough to really pop out of the page at me, and you’ve sacrificed the vibrance of your design representation for consistency and style. It might benefit you to have some diversity of rendering styles, as I don’t think the type you’re going with are industry typical, and being able to render to industry standards is a big marketability plus for a fresh grad, at least where I’m at. 

Feb 20, 24 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Selmae

Thank you for taking time! Really appreciate it.

Feb 20, 24 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Selmae

Feb 20, 24 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Selmae

Sorry new to this site and apperently the eorst

Feb 20, 24 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Selmae

Sorry for not replying in one go. I agree with you that I need to make my ideas clearer. I have lots of models and diagrams, but I left them out while focusing on keeping things simple and organized. Now, I need to figure out how to include them seamlessly. When it comes to the renders I usually just go for Enscape in Archicad and then remake them quite a bit to get a more ''collage'' vibe. If you have ant tips on how to make them less drab Im happy to hear. Thanks again!

Feb 20, 24 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I agree with the too much linework, but I don't think you need to rework renderings and disagree with the comment that they feel drab.  I think you are coming from a Scandinavian education so stylistically it makes sense.  

I think the pages need better layout and focal point. A lot of the linework images are hard to read at a quick glance and because they have a similar weight and you loose hierarchy. I was once told every drawing should have five line weights and had an old school teacher used to slam his hand on my drafting board and demand that I shown him one pen for each finger. No more no less.  Yes I'm old, but the same still hold for CAD drafting. 

Most portfolios will only be glanced at. Think about how someone's eye moves around the page and make that as easy as possible.  Squint at each page spread. Where does your eye go first? Then Second, third, forth? Are all of those clear?  For your pages I find I'm quickly drawn to the color graphic but then with the line work images my eye doesn't know where to look first and the frustration causes me to quickly look to the next page or bounce between images.  

Things that could help include, heavier  poche on section cuts, heavier ground plane lines on sections, adding atmosphere and depth to the drawings with shadows or exterior washes of color.  Heavy, medium, fine lines. things look different on screen than in print and you need to over exaggerate the differences in line weights for the screen. 

Think more superficially, more pages with a single image, or series of closely related images. Assume people will do stupid things like look at it at half size without enlarging to fill the screen or zooming in. It should still make an impact and leave a positive impression. The writing comes last you can do less of it. Label important things clearly but obvious labels like "elevation" or "section" can fade back. 

You're making good progress. keep it up. 

Feb 20, 24 4:57 pm  · 
2  · 
luvu

Agree with JL , definitely need to turn up a notch ( not too much )  on line weight / back ground colour for sections, elevations, ground plane . Snip below is an example ( i would use light grey for solid wall though ) ...experiment is the key/ see how it looks

Feb 20, 24 7:09 pm  · 
1  · 
JonathanLivingston

This is a great example of the direction her line drawings could easily go to have more impact!

Feb 20, 24 11:02 pm  · 
2  · 
Selmae

Good points! It’s really giving to hear your thoughts - thanks. And a clarification with the example! Appreciate it!

Feb 21, 24 2:29 am  · 
1  · 
watermelonsunday

i think your portfolio is really good. i see on your cv that you have previously worked as an architectural intern. since you’re applying to jobs, you could also put some work from your internships at the back of the portfolio. some employers want to see experience not just in academia but in work/internships too. 

Feb 21, 24 7:32 am  · 
1  · 
Selmae

Thanks! Good point.

Feb 22, 24 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Selmae

Any more tips on adjustments or how general opinions are more than welcome

Feb 22, 24 11:42 am  · 
 · 
smaarch

I would not advice to redo your portfolio - it is a solid demonstration of where you are.
Instead I would advice to build your experience in  more varied and complex building types.
You seem to have a fairly firm grasp on the  technical.

Mar 1, 24 12:15 am  · 
1  · 
Selmae

updated portfolio: [link removed by OP]

Mar 2, 24 9:20 am  · 
 · 
STRATA

for American audience lose your pic . Lends itself to pre-judging which may preclude employment opportunities. I know young people think it’s ok and a positive but it aint .

Mar 3, 24 12:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: