Archinect
anchor

M.Arch programs in the US

nomnom4usDAVID

I hold a 5-year B.Arch degree obtained here in India. I worked for more than two years and I decided to pursue an M.Arch. however, I see a lot of these colleges have prerequisite courses - physics or math/calculus or both. Which are very much absent in my UG transcripts.

PLEASE, please, please, recommend M.Arch programs in the US without these prereqs. They are ruining my life!!!

I think I have a good GPA - 3.67/4.0 (the gpa conversions could be inaccurate) and have a strong portfolio with works from my bachelors and my employment.

Dec 20, 23 11:23 am
Non Sequitur

Pre-reqs exist for a reason.  What did the schools say when you called to ask about M.Arch applications?

If this very simple research task is ruining your life, perhaps graduate-level studies is not a wise idea.

Dec 20, 23 11:57 am  · 
1  ·  3
nomnom4usDAVID

Buddy, have you never heard of a hyperbole? Don't you think I have already done this "simple research task" already? Maybe, ask for clarification first instead of assuming stuff about a stranger on the internet and judging their capabilities.

I have reached out to all the colleges on my dream list and was looking for some safe schools. Some colleges say the pre-reqs are rigid. Some don't need it from me as I already hold a B.Arch degree. And there are a few with no pre-reqs at all.

The fact that I can't even apply to some colleges or programs because of these prerequisites is what I find very disheartening. This is what is "ruining my life". 

Undergrad studies in my country come with fixed courses that you're required to study. No more, no less. One cannot take a class from another department at all. 

And that is why I was looking for colleges without those pre-reqs. I know they are out there. I just came here to ask for some advice, jeez.

Dec 20, 23 1:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I don’t see how my assumptions are incorrect. Not all degrees are equivalent and most of the good schools have a floor cut off. Pretty simple.

Dec 20, 23 1:17 pm  · 
2  ·  3
forzametro

Some M.Arch programs will allow for you to complete the pre-reqs during your graduate course of study. Provided that you complete the pre-reqs prior to graduation, you should be good to get an NAAB-accredited degree. 

It's best to ask each program specifically if they allow for this to be done. Otherwise, you can take the pre-req classes outside of a degree-seeking curriculum and have the transcript from the institution sent with your application along with your B.Arch transcript.

Dec 20, 23 2:25 pm  · 
1  · 
nomnom4usDAVID

Yes, I was hoping I could complete these pre-reqs while doing my M.Arch. But the colleges I contacted wouldn't allow it. So, I had no choice but to drop it for now. And sadly, in my country, it is impossible to enroll into a college to study one college-level class. So, I'm considering taking an online class at a community college (maybe?) in the US if nothing else works. I am keeping that option in mind for now. I have already applied to other good schools. Going to wait for their responses. Fingers crossed :)

Dec 21, 23 1:01 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: