Archinect
anchor

AI in syllabus

lavenderlasagna

im a first year b.arch student and recently the first year studio coordinator, who i have as a professor for one of my courses, mentioned wanting to integrate ai into the first year curriculum. i'm sure there are at least 30 other threads on here going on about the morality of having ai in the studio, so i won't go down that route on this post. rather, im curious. is this a popular notion to be had in other universities as well? i was shocked to hear this, especially from the studio coordinator himself, and was even more shocked to see my peers agree, but also, i go to a polytechnic university. as such, i suppose i should've expected it, but even so: are the other polytechnic architecture programs going down this route? what about the programs at art schools? what are their opinions? im curious as to how much a university's type plays into their stance on this

Dec 8, 23 11:28 pm
archanonymous

If you don't learn how to use the tools, the tools use you.

Dec 9, 23 6:59 am  · 
2  · 
msparchitect

exactly

Dec 14, 23 8:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Use me daddy, use me hard.

Dec 14, 23 10:30 am  · 
 · 

I know of at least one design program that is has a search that is targeting people with AI skills. There's one part of the equation about understanding how to use the technology (or not), and there's other part which more uni-relevant- $$. 

Personally, my spring semester is driven my AI in both text and images. 

Some of the conversations I've heard around the technology and ethical applications have been amazing (seething sarcasm). "I want to teach with it, but who will teach the ethics of using it?" (You. It's not someone else's responsibly in another class to teach your ethics, becasue you don't have time.)

But the 1st question to ask- has your uni developed a stance regarding application in the classroom? Not all bots isolate and secure your activity, just Microsoft's IIRC.

Dec 16, 23 12:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Depends on the A.I. and how it is used. A.I. is one of those terms that are far too widely used to mean a lot of different things. Is it just logic like used in simulating conditions or is it a chatbot.... a glorified ELIZA or something like simulating people like an egress and evacuation simulation or something like that where A.I. much like used in video games be used to simulation. But at FIRST year, wtf? Did they even give you two years of computer science programming to really make the A.I. Okay, probably another fricken fad about ChatGPT. Be careful, don't depend on the A.I. results. It is best to make your own work. 

A.I. can't really design. They can make fancy simulation of designing but it's a computer science "magic trick". Computers don't have emotions. Okay. They don't have artistic expression which channels the artist's feelings and thoughts. What you may see is someone else's work without knowing who it came from because it heuristically pulls up that artwork from a database collected by bots scouring the web. If you didn't create the work, don't use it unless you know the source and any associated license (to follow) because otherwise, you may face plagiarism or even copyright issues. It isn't a problem to be inspired by the work of others and come up with something that draws from the inspiration but is its own design. 

We haven't yet reached a complete artificial human mind. Only simulation that may sometimes feel like a person but it does eventually fall short of that. There are benefits for A.I. or some kind of computer science tricks, like automation or simulation modeling as an aid. I'm thinking of doing something along the lines in the future even with business website where we can gather and inquire information from prospective clients. 

Dec 16, 23 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Are you using ai for some kind of arbitrary form development, space planning and programming, writing specs?  All of the above? 

Dec 16, 23 5:11 pm  · 
1  · 

Depends. In one course, I thinking about using it for wall assembly assignment: 25+ students, same prompt for a wall assemble, generate a specification in a bot, each student draws a section based on their generated spec.... 

-How many different approaches are generated and which ones won’t work? 

-Which ones won’t work for the hypothetical project site? 

-Why do you want to trust AI to do this correctly?

Dec 16, 23 7:46 pm  · 
1  · 

Don't trust AI to do it correctly at all times. They can be a tool to aid but proofread and correct where necessary. That would be my position. Sometimes, you have specific non-conventional things to be specified and the AI will have its limitations. It can't just intelligently select the right specification. If it is stuff pretty much prescriptive to code or otherwise standardized, then sure. Beyond that, things go to hell at some point. So ALWAYS proofread and correct where needed.

Sometimes, you may be better off writing the specific specs yourself and incorporating them into the spec book with the generated specs. It is worth it to not get lazy and sloppy or overtrusting of the AI. 

Dec 17, 23 12:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: